E91 Straight Six Bearding

E91 Straight Six Bearding

Author
Discussion

zippyonline

Original Poster:

318 posts

114 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
In the same vein as the E61 v8 bearding thread ( https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...)

For those with petrol straight six E91s - owners, almost owners and ex owners to have somewhere to share there stories.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine (2005, pre LCI E91 330i 6MT) to get started. (I'll from time to time update this flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskFEFJkh )


Cleaned E91 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr


207 (17-07-2017) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr





Edited by zippyonline on Tuesday 25th July 09:33

ATM

10,029 posts

167 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
I'm hoping to join the club on Wednesday when I'll be collecting this -

BMW 335i M Sport E91
2009
78,750 miles

£9,000





Gez79

92 posts

131 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
£9000? What's wrong with it? wink

That's cheap, though, is it a facelift? Really good buy if it's in good nic.

I searched for 6 months for a manual touring when I was buying 3 years ago but couldn't get one in the spec I wanted so settled for a saloon in the end.

Great car though.

ATM

10,029 posts

167 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Gez79 said:
£9000? What's wrong with it? wink

That's cheap, though, is it a facelift? Really good buy if it's in good nic.

I searched for 6 months for a manual touring when I was buying 3 years ago but couldn't get one in the spec I wanted so settled for a saloon in the end.

Great car though.
It popped up on my eBay Saved Searches so I rushed over and bought it for the full asking. I think its a billy bargain. I've been watching prices for over a year. This is the last one I saw on eBay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132228302979

Dannbodge

1,673 posts

69 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
My Individual E90 LCI Manual 335i.

Currently sitting at 61k

Had it a couple of years now and it's had:
6 injectors
Valve cover
Waterpump
2 Turbos





Edited by Dannbodge on Tuesday 25th July 12:56

ATM

10,029 posts

167 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Dannbodge said:
My Individual E90 LCI Manual 335i.

Currently sitting at 61k

Had it a couple of years now and it's had:
6 injectors
Valve cover
Waterpump
2 Turbos





Edited by Dannbodge on Tuesday 25th July 12:56
Nice.

What's a valve cover?

Gez79

92 posts

131 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Without hijacking an e91 thread with saloons.....

Mine is a late 2010 manual on 80k and in 3 years all I've had go is a door seal and the dreaded water pump at 70k but otherwise it's been pretty good. Oh and a side light bulb went last month which was much easier to change than the air box out job it was in my old 130i.

zippyonline

Original Poster:

318 posts

114 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
ATM said:
What's a valve cover?
Did the valve cover on mine (it was leaking a bit), changed the eccentric shaft sensor whilst I was at it. Turns out the reason it was leaking is actually coz a couple of the studs were already sheared - and they're one time use alu things. Strangely the car came with a set of new alu bolts for the valve cover included, but no new gasket - guess that explained why!

It's a fairly time consuming valve cover gasket to change - there's a lot of things to get out of the way, an even then it's a bit Houdini like! Also changed the valvetronic gasket and the oil filler one and the eccentric shaft gasket whilst I was there.


065 (16-03-2017) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

Common leak point apparently!


Gez79 said:
Without hijacking an e91 thread with saloons.....
I think a 335i e90 is more welcome than a 330d e91


Dannbodge

1,673 posts

69 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
I didn't read the E91 part. It's modelist and unfair

ATM

10,029 posts

167 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Dannbodge said:
I didn't read the E91 part. It's modelist and unfair
As is Life.

rayyan171

1,241 posts

41 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Looking for an E9X 330i/335i however I am surprised at how many things can go wrong with the 35i engine, injectors, turbos etc the lot! Certainly more than the E39. If they are more reliable than perceived then they are an option however the one we may buy will be city driving only and will rarely see the motorway.

Dannbodge

1,673 posts

69 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
rayyan171 said:
Looking for an E9X 330i/335i however I am surprised at how many things can go wrong with the 35i engine, injectors, turbos etc the lot! Certainly more than the E39. If they are more reliable than perceived then they are an option however the one we may buy will be city driving only and will rarely see the motorway.
Yeah they aren't the most reliable however they are a peach of an engine when they run right.
Plus get one with sub 100k mileage and just cough up monthly for a warranty. That way everything is covered.

Mine had both turbos and the waterpump done under warranty. Final bill for BMW was £4k, for me it was £100

ATM

10,029 posts

167 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Dannbodge said:
rayyan171 said:
Looking for an E9X 330i/335i however I am surprised at how many things can go wrong with the 35i engine, injectors, turbos etc the lot! Certainly more than the E39. If they are more reliable than perceived then they are an option however the one we may buy will be city driving only and will rarely see the motorway.
Yeah they aren't the most reliable however they are a peach of an engine when they run right.
Plus get one with sub 100k mileage and just cough up monthly for a warranty. That way everything is covered.

Mine had both turbos and the waterpump done under warranty. Final bill for BMW was £4k, for me it was £100
Where do I get a warranty?

dcb

5,344 posts

213 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
rayyan171 said:
Looking for an E9X 330i/335i

...

the one we may buy will be city driving only and will rarely see the motorway.
High powered autobahn cruiser but will be used mostly in the city ?

Unusual, maybe even novel or courageous.

Each to their own, but rather suspect you are going to be best mates
with all your local petrol stations by running a three litre car mostly in
the city.





Dannbodge

1,673 posts

69 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
ATM said:
Where do I get a warranty?
https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Start

zippyonline

Original Poster:

318 posts

114 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
In terms of reliability (and this is just from reading on the internet....)

for an x35i N55>N54

for an x30i/x25i N52>N53

I was specifically after an N52 after reading that it's the engine to get and many around the world have clocked up big miles. I bought mine on 181k miles and it's now on 191k miles (I have no idea how - considering I don't commute in it and it's been off the road for about 1.5 months over my time whilst I've been sorting suspension and DISA valves!) and in fairness, whilst I've had a fair few problems and replaced lots of bits - the engine itself has been alright.

The other engines I hear all sorts of things about high pressure fuel pumps, injectors, and clogging inlet ports coz they're direct injection (rather than the port injection on the n52). Let alone the whole replacing turbo's thing.

I was about to list the bits and pieces I've replaced/fixed in the last 11months, but it's quite long, so I'll post that all up with photos sometime in the future! Let's just say I'm very glad I have built up a reasonable tool collection otherwise I couldn't afford to run this car.

Shaoxter

3,430 posts

72 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
dcb said:
rayyan171 said:
Looking for an E9X 330i/335i

...

the one we may buy will be city driving only and will rarely see the motorway.
High powered autobahn cruiser but will be used mostly in the city ?

Unusual, maybe even novel or courageous.

Each to their own, but rather suspect you are going to be best mates
with all your local petrol stations by running a three litre car mostly in
the city.
My 335i is used 90% city, you can argue anything above 100bhp is pointless really but it is nice to blast along that 10% of the time! smile

Also compared to previous 5.0L and 4.8L cars I've run as a city car, this one does 20mpg rather than low teens laugh

Gunk

2,562 posts

107 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
I've owned mine since February 2009, it's a late 2005 325i SE auto touring, ex demo with leather, Xenons, Bluetooth and staggered 17" double spoke wheels.

It's done 144,000 miles now, last year was a big year, I replaced all the coil packs, suspension and steering bushes and steering rack. Still drives really well, the Bluetooth has packed in and the front bumper has a few battle scars but Mrs Gunk still seems to like it, although I feel the time has come to change it, so I'm considering swapping it for a new 320d Luxury touring.



Edited by Gunk on Tuesday 25th July 18:07

RFC1

990 posts

145 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Here is my recent purchase 335i M sport Touring with manual box'



rayyan171

1,241 posts

41 months

Tuesday 25th July 2017
quotequote all
Shaoxter said:
dcb said:
rayyan171 said:
Looking for an E9X 330i/335i

...

the one we may buy will be city driving only and will rarely see the motorway.
High powered autobahn cruiser but will be used mostly in the city ?

Unusual, maybe even novel or courageous.

Each to their own, but rather suspect you are going to be best mates
with all your local petrol stations by running a three litre car mostly in
the city.
My 335i is used 90% city, you can argue anything above 100bhp is pointless really but it is nice to blast along that 10% of the time! smile

Also compared to previous 5.0L and 4.8L cars I've run as a city car, this one does 20mpg rather than low teens laugh
Honestly, it'll do 7 miles a day, barely get warm etc. Couldn't care less. We had an E39 528i doing exactly the same thing and 18mpg is perfectly reasonable for 2500 miles per year!

We really just want something to complement our large X5 diesel 7 seater, and the other brands just don't offer as much for your money. Audi is underwhelming, Mercedes is too bland.

We may even consider an E46 M3!