E91 Straight Six Bearding

E91 Straight Six Bearding

Author
Discussion

ATM

12,598 posts

183 months

Saturday 14th October 2017
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Matt_N said:
What's the consensus on the 6cyl diesels?

Seems quite a few manual 325d Tourers around.
I'm in the minority of actually preferring the 330d engine to the 330i engine, and the 330d even sounds more grunty and purposeful from inside the cabin for me when compared to the 330i.
My first e9x was a 2006 e90 330d m sport auto. It was pokey and i believe chipped. The run flats were shocking and when we had bad snow the car was stuck for about 6 weeks outside the house. The combination of rwd, wide balding run flats, stiff suspension and a torquey diesel made getting the car to move impossible. That was when I decided to sell it. Fast forward a couple of years and i discovered winter tyres. Now i won't drive a car with summer tyres in winter months.

cerb4.5lee

18,328 posts

144 months

Saturday 14th October 2017
quotequote all
ATM said:
My first e9x was a 2006 e90 330d m sport auto. It was pokey and i believe chipped. The run flats were shocking and when we had bad snow the car was stuck for about 6 weeks outside the house. The combination of rwd, wide balding run flats, stiff suspension and a torquey diesel made getting the car to move impossible. That was when I decided to sell it. Fast forward a couple of years and i discovered winter tyres. Now i won't drive a car with summer tyres in winter months.
I remember the winter of 2009 and we were living in Berkshire in upper bucklebury, and the snow was really bad and the house was at the bottom of a broken road and I had no chance getting the 330d up it for the reasons you mention, it was a terrible car to move in snow even on flat ground!

ATM

12,598 posts

183 months

Saturday 14th October 2017
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
ATM said:
My first e9x was a 2006 e90 330d m sport auto. It was pokey and i believe chipped. The run flats were shocking and when we had bad snow the car was stuck for about 6 weeks outside the house. The combination of rwd, wide balding run flats, stiff suspension and a torquey diesel made getting the car to move impossible. That was when I decided to sell it. Fast forward a couple of years and i discovered winter tyres. Now i won't drive a car with summer tyres in winter months.
I remember the winter of 2009 and we were living in Berkshire in upper bucklebury, and the snow was really bad and the house was at the bottom of a broken road and I had no chance getting the 330d up it for the reasons you mention, it was a terrible car to move in snow even on flat ground!
You're right it was 2009. Then 2010 i started buying winter tyres.

Mr Tidy

13,673 posts

91 months

Saturday 14th October 2017
quotequote all
zippyonline said:
IIRC, but I might be getting different markets muddled up here, you can get the N52 325i up to 330i levels through a remap and installing the 3 stage intake manifold (i.e. with the DISA valves - but keep an eye on them!).

I have a leggy N52 in a 330i, the torque curve is very smooth. I've not driven a 325i to compare it to though. Manual N52 E91s are fairly rare it seems (last time I looked, in M Sport guise, there's less about than M3 CSLs), although not quite as rare as a manual N55 E91 335i!
I don't think that is quite right.

The early E9* 325i had a 2.5 litre N52 engine, so it would need more than a re-map to get 330i power out of it.

The later N53 engine was a 3 litre in both 325i and 330i format, so something like you describe may be possible with that (but N53s do seem to have HPFP and Injector issues).

The 125i at that time used the N52 in 3 litre format but only rated at 218 bhp, and can be re-mapped for more like 130i power! thumbup

Mr Tidy

13,673 posts

91 months

Saturday 14th October 2017
quotequote all
cerb4.5lee said:
Yes and we do all like different things for sure, I think I'm allergic to high revs!! and I loved my Cerbera 4.5 V8 and 4.8 V8 in my X5...because you could go quickly with very little effort and I seem to enjoy it that way, maybe that's why I appreciate a diesel engine's power delivery as well.
You're right, I think you do have an allergy to high revs! (So Z4M, E92M3, etc. probably weren't ideal for you)!

I grew up with 2-stroke motorbikes - the top end was the only bit that really worked. laugh

That's probably why I love my E86 with the N/A N52 engine (would love to try an M though)!

cerb4.5lee

18,328 posts

144 months

Saturday 14th October 2017
quotequote all
Mr Tidy said:
cerb4.5lee said:
Yes and we do all like different things for sure, I think I'm allergic to high revs!! and I loved my Cerbera 4.5 V8 and 4.8 V8 in my X5...because you could go quickly with very little effort and I seem to enjoy it that way, maybe that's why I appreciate a diesel engine's power delivery as well.
You're right, I think you do have an allergy to high revs! (So Z4M, E92M3, etc. probably weren't ideal for you)!

I grew up with 2-stroke motorbikes - the top end was the only bit that really worked. laugh

That's probably why I love my E86 with the N/A N52 engine (would love to try an M though)!
I must admit I do question myself sometimes and feel that I should hand in my PH card!! getmecoat I certainly enjoy a gutsy engine now more, rather than one you have to thrash for the rewards...I must be getting old!! laugh

Mike335i

3,384 posts

66 months

Sunday 15th October 2017
quotequote all
Gutsy engines have their place certainly, big diesels are great at mile munching, but I find the general lack of response from turbo engines (my own included) to be the bit that's missing.

I know the throttle by wire lag on n52s is a problem, but add turbo lag to the equation and adaptive throttle aiming for economy, and engines just don't feel as 'alive' as they used to.


ATM

12,598 posts

183 months

Sunday 15th October 2017
quotequote all
I've noticed an annoying throttle lag on my 335i when pulling away from standstill. If you press the throttle down by a small amount then it takes seconds for anything to happen and then you set off sedately. If you press the throttle a bit more than the amount mentioned above then you shoot off aggressively. So it's a fine line between wandering if the car is going to move at all and flying off aggressively.

Mr Tidy

13,673 posts

91 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
Mike335i said:
Gutsy engines have their place certainly, big diesels are great at mile munching, but I find the general lack of response from turbo engines (my own included) to be the bit that's missing.

I know the throttle by wire lag on n52s is a problem, but add turbo lag to the equation and adaptive throttle aiming for economy, and engines just don't feel as 'alive' as they used to.
Interesting insight - I don't find my E86 with an N52 has any lag, but my E46 325ti seems to want to stall pretty regularly (solved by revving it's nuts off)! laugh

PTF

3,631 posts

188 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
Matt_N said:
What's the consensus on the 6cyl diesels?

Seems quite a few manual 325d Tourers around.
Had an E91 325d (3.0 M57) auto. Had plenty of manual diesel cars over the years and they really suit an auto box better than a manual IMO.

A 330d/325d with a nice 6 cylinder engine and an auto box is a nice way to waft around.

PTF

3,631 posts

188 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
PTF said:
Missed out on an E91 325i 2.5 at the weekend. SE spec, but with upgraded 18" wheels. It also seemed to have sports seats specified. 55 plate with 120k. And it was a manual gearbox! All for £3.5k

Tried to get in contact with the dealer repeatedly but they weren't answering. And now it's disappeared off autotrader.

An N52 E91 is a really hard thing to come across in that price range!
Ok. So having spent a few weeks looking for an E91 N52 2.5 or 3.0, preferably manual gearbox, preferably with sports seats but either SE or MSport, but ideally without massive wheels and rubber band tyres, for sub-£5k, i've given in....


....and instead am picking up a 130i SE next weekend. Low mileage. 17" wheels. Sadly no sports seats but amazing condition and a decent price.

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

phil_cardiff

5,252 posts

172 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
This has got my wallet twitching. Are those sports seats? But the wheels look wrong to me?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...


PTF

3,631 posts

188 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
phil_cardiff said:
This has got my wallet twitching. Are those sports seats? But the wheels look wrong to me?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
Yeah looks like someone ticked the sports seats option on that one. Not bad for the money - manual, N52, leather

Shaoxter

3,583 posts

88 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
phil_cardiff said:
This has got my wallet twitching. Are those sports seats? But the wheels look wrong to me?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
Yes sports seats. Wheels look like E46 ones hmm...

Very nice colour combo, same as mine wink

Matt_N

8,582 posts

166 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
phil_cardiff said:
This has got my wallet twitching. Are those sports seats? But the wheels look wrong to me?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
Ha I knew it would be that one!

That's local to me and pretty much what I want too.

Sports seats yes, an option on SEs and the wheels are Style 68 first introduced on the E46 I think so potentially still offered as an option on E9x.


Edited by Matt_N on Monday 16th October 09:41

PTF

3,631 posts

188 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
Matt_N said:
phil_cardiff said:
This has got my wallet twitching. Are those sports seats? But the wheels look wrong to me?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201...
Ha I knew it would be that one!

That's local to me and pretty much what I want too.

Sports seats yes, an option on SEs and the wheels were a style first introduced on the E46 I think so potentially still offered as an option on E9x.
They look like deliciously high profile tyres too. Wonder what the profile is? 50? 55?

Matt_N

8,582 posts

166 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
PTF said:
They look like deliciously high profile tyres too. Wonder what the profile is? 50? 55?
Style 68 should be 17" with the correct tyre sizes being 225/45 front and 245/40 rear, ad lists them as 16"?

They should be staggered 8" front and 8.5" rear, in a few pictures it looks like the rears are quite tucked, perhaps someone has fitted a square set up 82 all round or they are copies?

Would need checking out.


Edited by Matt_N on Monday 16th October 09:50

PTF

3,631 posts

188 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
Matt_N said:
PTF said:
They look like deliciously high profile tyres too. Wonder what the profile is? 50? 55?
Style 68 should be 17" with the correct tyre sizes being 225/45 front and 245/40 rear, ad lists them as 16"?

They should be staggered 8" front and 8.5" rear, in a few pictures it looks like the rears are quite tucked, perhaps someone has fitted a square set up 82 all round or they are copies?

Would need checking out.


Edited by Matt_N on Monday 16th October 09:50
Yeah they look like a square setup of 17s

ferrisbueller

26,306 posts

191 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
I think those are E46 only. Could be non staggered. Also wrong offset.

PTF

3,631 posts

188 months

Monday 16th October 2017
quotequote all
ferrisbueller said:
I think those are E46 only. Could be non staggered. Also wrong offset.
They don't have to be staggered though? My E91 325d had a square setup of 225/45R17