Loud Bikes or quiet

Loud Bikes or quiet

Author
Discussion

tommy1973s

543 posts

129 months

Sunday 5th July
quotequote all
Bikes or cars, for me it's more to do with the quality of the sound rather than the volume. A boring engine with loud pipes is just boring and loud. But e.g. an old Vincent or a 90s Ducati sounds wonderful without needing to be oppressively loud.

Chicken dinner

2,999 posts

26 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
ddom said:
Chicken dinner said:
Should I confess to have chopping the rear boxes off my 2010 Camaro or the complete custom exhaust I had on my 2005 S197 including cutouts?
Or would that be childish as well ?
Which probably made it sound pretty crap tbh. Still, like the Harley, all noise.
Maybe, but I like it

At 425bhp and 1.7 tonnes it wasn’t meant to be a sports car or rocket ship.

You’d certainly hate my TVR

PushedDover

2,041 posts

11 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
tommy1973s said:
Bikes or cars, for me it's more to do with the quality of the sound rather than the volume. A boring engine with loud pipes is just boring and loud. But e.g. an old Vincent or a 90s Ducati sounds wonderful without needing to be oppressively loud.
Agreed

Kevin_Birth

85 posts

5 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Love the sound of a loud motorbike being worked hard. My bike (harley) has no baffles but I keep the revs low and stick to the speed limit through towns so the noise isn't too offensive. It sounds utterly orgasmic when I open it up as well, get it revving up to 5k (dont laugh) and it never ceases to put a smile on my face.

The mumsnetters on here would be surprised actually how many pedestrians give me a nod when I'm going through villages. Even got a smile of a cyclist yesterday.

Countdown

28,537 posts

154 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Steve Bass said:
maybe everyone needs to calm the fk down and stop being so hysterically offended about everything.
Who are the ones being hysterically offended? People who don’t enjoy motorbikes which are stupidly loud or people who don’t like being told that their bikes are stupidly loud?

Countdown

28,537 posts

154 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Kevin_Birth said:
Love the sound of a loud motorbike being worked hard. My bike (harley) has no baffles but I keep the revs low and stick to the speed limit through towns so the noise isn't too offensive. It sounds utterly orgasmic when I open it up as well, get it revving up to 5k (dont laugh) and it never ceases to put a smile on my face.

The mumsnetters on here would be surprised actually how many pedestrians give me a nod when I'm going through villages. Even got a smile of a cyclist yesterday.
I guarantee you 90% of people are mentally giving you the coffee beans. It may sound orgasmic to you but you having an orgasm in public isnt really something that onlookers enjoy,

Kevin_Birth

85 posts

5 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Countdown said:
I guarantee you 90% of people are mentally giving you the coffee beans.
I dont care. 90% of people are morons and im not there to please them. Knowing that 10% of people (citation required) out there 'get it' makes me happy.

NITO

878 posts

164 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
MaverickV12 said:
(I can't hear st because I have music playing in my ears).
Oh the irony, lol!

Hungrymc

4,759 posts

95 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
The thread seems to have polarized opinions.

I like the sound of interesting engines. But I decided a few years ago that I prefer to keep my bikes quieter to avoid attention. I'm not judging those who go louder, I get it, I like the noise. Personally, I value knowing I'm avoiding attention and not pissing anyone off. Each to their own.

irocfan

24,403 posts

148 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Kevin_Birth said:
Countdown said:
I guarantee you 90% of people are mentally giving you the coffee beans.
I dont care. 90% of people are morons and im not there to please them. Knowing that 10% of people (citation required) out there 'get it' makes me happy.
hehe

Dr Jekyll

20,377 posts

219 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Kevin_Birth said:
I dont care. 90% of people are morons and im not there to please them. Knowing that 10% of people (citation required) out there 'get it' makes me happy.
And if bikes get banned thanks to twunts with noisy exhausts will that make you happy because you are annoying even more people?

Rat_Fink_67

2,183 posts

164 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
So now "all bikes" will be banned due to noisy exhausts?? Wow...drama central.

rjg48

2,399 posts

19 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
LOUD EXHAUST - small penis and still living with Mum

Dr Jekyll

20,377 posts

219 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Rat_Fink_67 said:
So now "all bikes" will be banned due to noisy exhausts?? Wow...drama central.
Look what's happening in Germany. A proposal to ban all IC bikes from the roads on Sundays just because some riders think it's clever to make a ridiculous din.

Steve Bass

9,393 posts

191 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Countdown said:
Steve Bass said:
maybe everyone needs to calm the fk down and stop being so hysterically offended about everything.
Who are the ones being hysterically offended? People who don’t enjoy motorbikes which are stupidly loud or people who don’t like being told that their bikes are stupidly loud?
Clearly both...


Pothole

31,052 posts

240 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Dr Jekyll said:
Rat_Fink_67 said:
So now "all bikes" will be banned due to noisy exhausts?? Wow...drama central.
Look what's happening in Germany. A proposal to ban all IC bikes from the roads on Sundays just because some riders think it's clever to make a ridiculous din.
Not JUST because, no. Riders organising road races also cited.

PushedDover

2,041 posts

11 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Rat_Fink_67 said:
So now "all bikes" will be banned due to noisy exhausts?? Wow...drama central.
See the Germany thread and Sundays / Holidays.

As everything in life - the few will ruin it for the many.
If banned the loud riders will hopefully carry the burden of responsibility.


FTR, I don't want bikes, cars or anything banned - but clearly from this thread, there are those that can not see how their Loud bikes and obnoxious riding styles (as above, wtf is the 'twist' / blat of revs on a bike in crawling traffic for?) could have a net effect in having all bikes banned.
Shame a few can manage to fk it up for the rest.

Rat_Fink_67

2,183 posts

164 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
rjg48 said:
LOUD EXHAUST - small penis and still living with Mum
The PH resident penis inspector everyone, give him a wave.

Steve Bass

9,393 posts

191 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Rat_Fink_67 said:
rjg48 said:
LOUD EXHAUST - small penis and still living with Mum
The PH resident penis inspector everyone, give him a wave.
Do you mean he's the biggest cock of the lot??

Rowe

131 posts

80 months

Monday 6th July
quotequote all
Sums it up pretty well