Trials bike with daytime MOT.

Trials bike with daytime MOT.

Author
Discussion

BroadsRS6

Original Poster:

785 posts

37 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
What in the way of lights or horn or whatever HAS to work for a daytime MOT to be given? I have a 250cc trials bike with no MOT currently, but it's registered (V5) with a rear plate etc. It has a simple bicycle horn and a brake light, but no front and rear traditional lighting. Is the bike likely to be ok for a daytime MOT does anyone know?

black-k1

11,841 posts

227 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all

DrEMa

684 posts

90 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
I ran a chop I built on a daytime MOT. It had a rear brake light and nothing else (although even that wasn't required). The issue I had was a daytime MOT is very unusual so took the tester a while to figure out what was and wasn't required. Even then, he insisted on a rear reflector (the place I went to the following year didn't).
The horn I think is covered by the same rules as regular MOT.

Rushjob

1,826 posts

256 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Just because it has a daytime MOT doesn't mean it's road legal!
The use of motorcycles with minimal lighting was as a result of the tweak to the UK law to allow trials bikes to go on the roads for the ISDT and similar competitions. If you start to dig down into the relevant legislation you see requirements for single seats, off road tyres and suspension travel - quite interesting stuff.

Tango13

8,322 posts

174 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
banghead

How many fking times do we have to go through this st?

There is no such thing as a 'Daytime MOT'



Jazoli

9,067 posts

248 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Tango13 said:
banghead

How many fking times do we have to go through this st?

There is no such thing as a 'Daytime MOT'
hehe I know biggrin

Ross16v

35 posts

160 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Whatever you actually call it (daylight only MOT??), I’ve had my trials bike and Honda monkey bike mot’d with just a cheap electronic battery horn from ebay fitted and a rear reflector, in terms of lights and a horn. If you have any lights/switchgear fitted though, then they must work.

What trials bike is it, just out of interest?

Shuff4

167 posts

85 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
I got my Sherco MOT’d,

MegaHorn off eBay (battery powered)
Rear number plate


Had to to apply insulation tape over the front ‘light’, which was the factory fit led’s on the front board, as they were deemed as marker lights.

Was a case of if I had one light I needed the rest,
Advisory in certificate, ‘no lights fitted at time of test’.

Moulder

1,463 posts

210 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Ross16v said:
Whatever you actually call it (daylight only MOT??), I’ve had my trials bike and Honda monkey bike mot’d with just a cheap electronic battery horn from ebay fitted and a rear reflector, in terms of lights and a horn. If you have any lights/switchgear fitted though, then they must work.

What trials bike is it, just out of interest?
This was the answer for my trials bike. Remote reservoir air horn and a small circular numberplate reflector.

BroadsRS6

Original Poster:

785 posts

37 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Ross16v said:
Whatever you actually call it (daylight only MOT??), I’ve had my trials bike and Honda monkey bike mot’d with just a cheap electronic battery horn from ebay fitted and a rear reflector, in terms of lights and a horn. If you have any lights/switchgear fitted though, then they must work.

What trials bike is it, just out of interest?
Gasgas 250 2 stroke, with carb fuelling and after market brake light and bicycle horn fitted by previous owner.

BroadsRS6

Original Poster:

785 posts

37 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Tango13 said:
banghead

How many fking times do we have to go through this st?

There is no such thing as a 'Daytime MOT'
Essentially there IS the same thing though, by other title, according to Google searching just now.

But number plate, reflector and chain guard are needed, i notice!

What DO we call a street legal bike without lights then? An 'hour before dusk to an hour after dawn-prohibited MOT'?

pherlopolus

2,087 posts

156 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
BroadsRS6 said:
Essentially there IS the same thing though, by other title, according to Google searching just now.

But number plate, reflector and chain guard are needed, i notice!

What DO we call a street legal bike without lights then? An 'hour before dusk to an hour after dawn-prohibited MOT'?
No need for a chain guard on a "normal" bike mot, just needs to be secure if there...

BroadsRS6

Original Poster:

785 posts

37 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Just looked at Government site and yes, no mention of chain guard. I read a false statement on that one clearly.
Number plate and horn are needed, for what they call a ''daylight'' MOT.
So there is such a thing.

Dog Star

15,981 posts

166 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Jazoli said:
Tango13 said:
banghead

How many fking times do we have to go through this st?

There is no such thing as a 'Daytime MOT'
hehe I know biggrin
I’ve given up.

Dog Star

15,981 posts

166 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
BroadsRS6 said:
What DO we call a street legal bike without lights then? An 'hour before dusk to an hour after dawn-prohibited MOT'?
A bike that’d be illegal to ride in the dark because it has no lights. Got bugger all to do with its MOT.

Put it this way - if you Get an MOT certificate that has an advisory for “presented without lights” and then go home, fit lights and then get stopped by a copper at night what do you think is going to happen?

Or indeed with my KTM which was tested with lights, but currently has a number board on the front instead. You reckon I can ride that at night because I’ve got an MOT without a lights advisory?

Why oh why do I keep getting sucked into this one….

Tango13

8,322 posts

174 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
Jazoli said:
Tango13 said:
banghead

How many fking times do we have to go through this st?

There is no such thing as a 'Daytime MOT'
hehe I know biggrin
I’ve given up.
I thought I'd try and save you the bother biggrin

BroadsRS6

Original Poster:

785 posts

37 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Dog Star said:
Jazoli said:
Tango13 said:
banghead

How many fking times do we have to go through this st?

There is no such thing as a 'Daytime MOT'
hehe I know biggrin
I’ve given up.
Daylight mot VOSA says. Near enough to daytime in my book.

BroadsRS6

Original Poster:

785 posts

37 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Well the bike is for off roading on the Isle of Skye 95% of its life so I'll take the chance on the road now and then. Tax and insure it. Mot it. Ride it in daylight.
I'm surprised VOSA use the term daylight mot if there's no such thing. You'd think the people who make the rules would know best but hey ho.

the tribester

2,322 posts

84 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Horn and proper numberplate. No need for a reflector.

bimsb6

8,010 posts

219 months

Wednesday 7th July 2021
quotequote all
Rushjob said:
Just because it has a daytime MOT doesn't mean it's road legal!
The use of motorcycles with minimal lighting was as a result of the tweak to the UK law to allow trials bikes to go on the roads for the ISDT and similar competitions. If you start to dig down into the relevant legislation you see requirements for single seats, off road tyres and suspension travel - quite interesting stuff.
I assumed it was to do with historic vehicles with no electric lighting .