Another body off thread.

Another body off thread.

Author
Discussion

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Well that’s it no more excuses.
My cars already sat waiting, tomorrow I take a huge step of personal faith in starting the body off process on my fantastic Chimaera.

I’ll actually start a thread with a decent tittle so chaps can find it in future for any pics or help they might need.
This had been documented many times now so hardly a new thing so I’ll try to stick to the point and only really mention any difficult bits and pieces I come across.

I’ll probably list in order how I do it so it’s easy to simply reverse the process when putting it all back together. Haynes manual style smile

With luck I can’t see it taking too long to dismantle, manifolds the exception but I’ve had them off before so hopefully things are not to seized.
I few years ago when my gander was up I actually re painted much of my front chassis and removed most things out the engine bay to facilitate that so I’m quietly confident I know much of the car and the jobs to be done to lift body, accessing a load of bolts being the main task.

I’ve looked at various lifting techniques, this I'm still not sure about until I’m in the garage and work out some logistics. Hmm.
Anyway wish me luck lads,,,
I’m sure I’ll have questions, most of my car has been done through others giving me the confidence to do it so hopefully another Tvr will inadvertently be restored through the help and advice on these pages. Thankyou dearly in advance.


Edited by Classic Chim on Thursday 28th November 10:00

Squirrelofwoe

2,773 posts

134 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
I won't be contributing much knowledge, but I rest assured I'm sending plenty of positive vibes in your direction- looking forward to the progress! In the hope I can at some point copy your well-documented (no pressure) method! winkbiggrin

You'll have a seriously sorted car once it's done. cool

mrciarano

71 posts

19 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Classic Chim said:
I’ve looked at various lifting techniques, this I'm still not sure about until I’m in the garage and work out some logistics. Hmm.
Anyway wish me luck lads,,,
I’m sure I’ll have questions, most of my car has been done through others giving me the confidence to do it so hopefully another Tvr will inadvertently be restored through the help and advice on these pages. Thankyou dearly in advance.
Never done it but interested to see how you do it! Out of interest do you have a lift or are you thinking of doing a homebrew pulley and winch system across the ceiling? Curious as I'm looking to attempt one in the near future

Mr Supercharged

486 posts

115 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
I have just started my body off journey, I have produced a series of video to document this that are being added in the internet. If you PM me I'll tell you where but believe I'm not allowed to advertise it on pistonheads.

I used an engine crane to haul up the front end with a piece of 7x2" wood to span the gap between the 2 inner wheel arches at the front while the car is on axel stands. I used 2 large trolley Jacks to start the lift at the back. Then put the wheels back on the car and lowered the chassis. With additional blocks of wood on the Jack's I was about 18" short of the lift height I need to clear everything. I had 6 people over, one on the engine hoist which lifted front clear, 4 on the back of the car to lift and one to pull the rolling chassis out. I then put the body on a trolley I've made to allow me to store my Westfield underneath, so effectively double stack and gives me other side of garage to work on the car. Let me know if I can be of help to you or you can watch my how to videos.

Jon Brown

568 posts

142 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Double stacking with a westfield that's genius, I really like that idea

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Squirrelofwoe said:
I won't be contributing much knowledge, but I rest assured I'm sending plenty of positive vibes in your direction- looking forward to the progress! In the hope I can at some point copy your well-documented (no pressure) method! winkbiggrin

You'll have a seriously sorted car once it's done. cool
That’s really appreciated Dave. Thanks man smile

I’ll do my best on the step by step approach and do my best to take pictures.

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Mr Supercharged said:
I have just started my body off journey, I have produced a series of video to document this that are being added in the internet. If you PM me I'll tell you where but believe I'm not allowed to advertise it on pistonheads.

I used an engine crane to haul up the front end with a piece of 7x2" wood to span the gap between the 2 inner wheel arches at the front while the car is on axel stands. I used 2 large trolley Jacks to start the lift at the back. Then put the wheels back on the car and lowered the chassis. With additional blocks of wood on the Jack's I was about 18" short of the lift height I need to clear everything. I had 6 people over, one on the engine hoist which lifted front clear, 4 on the back of the car to lift and one to pull the rolling chassis out. I then put the body on a trolley I've made to allow me to store my Westfield underneath, so effectively double stack and gives me other side of garage to work on the car. Let me know if I can be of help to you or you can watch my how to videos.
Pm’d smile
And Thankyou.
Basically very similar to what you’ve written above.

I’m using a ramp to first allow exhaust and all underneath jobs to be done
Lower car to the ground, use hydraulic jacks front and rear with some 3x2 wood or similar to gently lift body off chassis to gain enough room to then use the 2 post lift to lift body up and away. Store body, cry at the amount of work to be done then crack on with it with aplom.. it’s gonna shine if anyone knows me rofl



Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
mrciarano said:
Never done it but interested to see how you do it! Out of interest do you have a lift or are you thinking of doing a homebrew pulley and winch system across the ceiling? Curious as I'm looking to attempt one in the near future
See above as a base idea. Roof trusses are modern, wouldn't take the weight using winches which is a pity as it could be stored easier right there. plus I have access to ramps.

Start tomorrow with
1 exhaust rear anti rollbar removal
2 petrol tank ( rear chassis bolts )
3 radiator out ( front chassis bolts )

I’ll probably be working on tank all day hehe

Actually I’m moving vehicles about first, I’ll get bugger all much done but those are my first jobs.






Edited by Classic Chim on Thursday 28th November 15:35

Squirrelofwoe

2,773 posts

134 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Classic Chim said:
Squirrelofwoe said:
I won't be contributing much knowledge, but I rest assured I'm sending plenty of positive vibes in your direction- looking forward to the progress! In the hope I can at some point copy your well-documented (no pressure) method! winkbiggrin

You'll have a seriously sorted car once it's done. cool
That’s really appreciated Dave. Thanks man smile

I’ll do my best on the step by step approach and do my best to take pictures.
thumbup

I'm just waiting for this incessant rain to stop so I can get some more miles put on my rebuilt engine- barely managed 200 since I got it back in September. curse

QBee

17,779 posts

102 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Squirrelofwoe said:
thumbup

I'm just waiting for this incessant rain to stop so I can get some more miles put on my rebuilt engine- barely managed 200 since I got it back in September. curse
Forecast for my area (east mids) is dry for the next few days

Squirrelofwoe

2,773 posts

134 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
QBee said:
Squirrelofwoe said:
thumbup

I'm just waiting for this incessant rain to stop so I can get some more miles put on my rebuilt engine- barely managed 200 since I got it back in September. curse
Forecast for my area (east mids) is dry for the next few days
Here too (Oxfordshire)- I've been checking the weather pretty much every day! hehe

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
^^^^^^^ hehe

I had a great half hour on its final drive before the major surgery begins, very emotional in ways, it’s so good the last thing I wanna do is pull it apart but I hope I really get into it without getting to obsessed biglaugh

200 miles, I still love my new engine 25,000 miles in biggrin fast as fury for a standard model rofl

I’ve decided the MBE install makes the engine bay work a lot easier as it’s all labelled up thumbup


Dave85chim

333 posts

44 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Good Luck Alun!

Fingers crossed for you - take your time and just enjoy doing it. My rebuild time scale is shot to buggery but have enjoyed it!

Can’t wait to see the pics!!! And don’t use Wheelie bins!

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Dave85chim said:
Good Luck Alun!

Fingers crossed for you - take your time and just enjoy doing it. My rebuild time scale is shot to buggery but have enjoyed it!

Can’t wait to see the pics!!! And don’t use Wheelie bins!
Hi Dave, yeah but your’s is a proper resto, well more resurrection actually. Least i have an engine biggrin

I’m under no illusions and quietly looking forward to it. Rushing won’t be on the cards as I’m to old for that wink

Wheelie bins not strong enough to support a body I assume hehe

Toolbox200

126 posts

83 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Hi Al, if you need any help spannering let me know...Did mine about this time 4 yrs ago...seatbelt bolts into the chassis is one to look out for. Did mine with an engine crane on .the back and some jacks and large axle stands at the front. Cheers Pete

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Hi Pete great to hear from you.
Great hopefully i’ll be ok but might ask for advice here or there.

I replaced my drivers seat belt which ended up with a broken bolt,,, into rigger, new thread after getting it out, I know all about what not to do on that bd biggrin

Early start tomorrow and might even get a bit done but I’m going to be as systematic as possible, so take my time.
Thanks for the offer of help it’s really appreciated. Maybe when I’m putting it back together I might need a keen pair of eyes looking over it. Thanks mate

Toolbox200

126 posts

83 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Most useful thing is taking lots of photos...look forward to your thread...Cheers Pete

Tyre Tread

9,296 posts

174 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Good luck Alun.

I'm building up to do mine in the next couple of years.

Looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measure,

If you need a hand just shout. I know I'm a bit away from you but a few days spannering is always a good way to spend time and it might help me build up the confidence to do mine.

As a tip its worth buying a box of plastic takeaway cartons to put bolts in and label them.I used them when I did the rebuild on the P5 and it was a damn site easier to label, stack and find stuff than in plastic bags.

Looking forward to the pics

MisterT

314 posts

184 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Classic said:
Wheelie bins not strong enough to support a body I assume hehe
Al, I used 4 builders scaffold trestles with 2 lengths of 4x2 timber each end, it was plenty strong enough. Lifted the body off with two trolley jacks and a bit of manual handling (only two of us!) managed to get the shell up high enough to store the chassis underneath


Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,430 posts

107 months

Thursday 28th November 2019
quotequote all
Note to self
Lots of photo’s, will do Pete
Plastic tubs, nice one Alan let’s see how we go and what I find
And Mike,,, two of you lifted it that high, remind me not to meet you down a dark alley rofl
By the look of it your fit as a butchers dog with all them lovely bikes around.

Mike that’s a good looking chassis right there, I’d drop it back on and carry on 10 years biggrin

Mines the dreaded late chassis, I’ve seen enough to know it’s gonna be quite a job. Full strip down I reckon but maybe it’s better than I imagine. Soon find out.
Thanks gentlemen. Tvr folk, can’t beat em.