Chinese Runway Tyres

Chinese Runway Tyres

Author
Discussion

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
I had three buckled 16" wheels on my TF and just bought a set of secondhand wheels with practically new tyres.

The rear tyres are a pair of Chinese made "Runway" tyres. They look new but could just be made of granite.

Does anybody know about these? Am I about to die?

Maybe I should take it on a trackday to find out what they're really like...

timbo48

688 posts

141 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
Get rid of them. They'll probably last either forever or until they put you backwards through a hedge.

I had some cheap Chinese made tyres on the rear of my ZT-T when I bought it. They were by far the worst tyres I've ever had in 47 years of driving (sorry, can't remember the make, don't think it was Runway though).

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
These are on the back of a TF that has Goodyears on the front so I hope it doesn't make it a very spinny thing.

My Toyos on the damaged rims are still perfect so swapping them might just be a good idea.

uk_vette

3,336 posts

163 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
Well it may come as no surprise to learn that
Dunlop
Michelin
Continental
all have plants in China, "Made in China"
When I am out tomorrow, I will maybe snap a few with the cameraphone Mich - "Made in China"

vette

na

7,898 posts

193 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
I thought I'd seen elsewhere that MGF/TFs (don't forget there is a much earlier TF model) were tyre sensitive

a tyre may work on a car but the correct tyre will work very well, on the same car and the difference can be night and day

'new' tyres with loads of tread can be be quite old and hard through age and lack of use

tyres, good or bad, effect the braking, steering, roadholding, ride comfort and noise

after brakes they are probably the most important components on a car, four small patches of rubber that are the only contact with the road, without that contact the car's electronics and driver's skill aren't effective

Mr2Mike

20,143 posts

214 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
uk_vette said:
Well it may come as no surprise to learn that
Dunlop
Michelin
Continental
all have plants in China, "Made in China"
When I am out tomorrow, I will maybe snap a few with the cameraphone Mich - "Made in China"

vette
No surprise at all, thousands of companies that originated in the west now have manufacturing facilities in China. That does not mean that Chinese companies producing budget items spend a similar budget on R&D and exercise the same production quality controls.

Would you rather have a Sony television or one of the no-name supermarket budget jobs? They are both made in China.

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
na said:
I thought I'd seen elsewhere that MGF/TFs (don't forget there is a much earlier TF model) were tyre sensitive

a tyre may work on a car but the correct tyre will work very well, on the same car and the difference can be night and day

'new' tyres with loads of tread can be be quite old and hard through age and lack of use

tyres, good or bad, effect the braking, steering, roadholding, ride comfort and noise

after brakes they are probably the most important components on a car, four small patches of rubber that are the only contact with the road, without that contact the car's electronics and driver's skill aren't effective
The TF is very sensitive to tyres. When I bought the car it came with a couple of unknown Japanese tyres on the back, different makes of course. Oversteer was very easily provoked but not so easily predicted. The correct Goodyear GS02s improved things but not nearly as much as the Toyos.

I reckon the best idea is to get the car on an airfield and slide it about; just in the name of safety. smile

oakdale

1,068 posts

161 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
There are a lot of rubbish budget tyres about, but some are very good.

Runway tyres are made by the Federal tyre company who spend a lot of money on research and development and have had a lot of technical collaboration with some of the major tyre manufacturers.

I've never generally been a fan of budget tyres but I have used Federal branded tyres and Runway Enduro 656 and 816 tyres made by Federal and found them to be very good for both grip and low wear rate.

Federal tyres are popular for motorsport use in many areas of the world.

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Monday 16th July 2012
quotequote all
oakdale said:
I've never generally been a fan of budget tyres but I have used Federal branded tyres and Runway Enduro 656 and 816 tyres made by Federal and found them to be very good for both grip and low wear rate.
Let's see how good the wear rate is sliding sideways across a runway tongue out

na

7,898 posts

193 months

Tuesday 17th July 2012
quotequote all
sounds like you are going to test these tyres to extreme so can report back on them tongue out

money to burn or at least smoke smile

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Tuesday 17th July 2012
quotequote all
na said:
sounds like you are going to test these tyres to extreme so can report back on them tongue out

money to burn or at least smoke smile
I don't want to find the limits on public roads. Had enough of that with the unknown Japanese tyres that came with it.

There's a track evening at Cadwell coming up but that's not got the runoff to really push. I'd do it in my Locost as it's pretty easy to catch and drift but the MG weighs twice as much, has the engine at the back and these tyres really are a journey into the unknown. I don't want them to be a journey into the armco...

If they come up OK I won't test them to destruction.

na

7,898 posts

193 months

Tuesday 17th July 2012
quotequote all
Sir, to test your tyres I offer you this link - Curborough all day tack day - 1st August £80 per car all day

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Wednesday 18th July 2012
quotequote all
na said:
Sir, to test your tyres I offer you this link - Curborough all day tack day - 1st August £80 per car all day
Looks good. There are also some evenings coming up at Brands and Donny.

Evenings are good as they're cheaper and I don't want to stress the car too much. I've already got a track car which can take it far more easily.



na

7,898 posts

193 months

Wednesday 18th July 2012
quotequote all
fair doose

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Thursday 19th July 2012
quotequote all
The MGOC workshop seem to have used airtools to refit the wheels. Even using a 4' long steel tube as an extension I had to pull pretty hard. One wheel nut just won't come off.

Taking it into the tyre fitters with one Toyo and one Ringworm tyre on the back to see if they have any more luck with that wheel. It's just a little bit skittish...

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Thursday 30th August 2012
quotequote all
I ran the car with both Runways on the back for a bit. They were in good condition when they went on, I inspected them as did the company who sold the wheels; an Elise motorsport specialist who buy written off MGs as cheap source of Elise bits (the dozen or so race spec Elises outside confirmed this). This car had been vandalised rather than crashed.

At first it was a pleasant surprise, the dry grip is a little lower than the Toyos but not bad and quite progressive. The back end would gently drift out and easily corrected on the throttle or a quick dab of oppo smile

Unfortunately it appears they've started cracking up within the tread and sidewalls on both tyres. It looks like they're de-laminating. This was with fairly brisk but safe road use.

Obviously I haven't driven the car since spotting this and I'm replacing them today. Just wondering whether or not to report them to the vehicle inspectorate.

The moral is: Don't buy Chinese tyres.

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Thursday 30th August 2012
quotequote all
Both tyres have started cracking badly:


Moegreen

2 posts

92 months

Sunday 27th October 2013
quotequote all
I agree with the moral of your exercise/story; We should indeed be careful of things made in china. Frightening, the abysmal quality of all products that have been coming out of there for so many years.



VaporTrail666

3 posts

11 months

Sunday 23rd August
quotequote all
I noticed the tyre model changes frequently perhaps to avoid long-term reviews. These should be called 'runaway' tyres. They are attractively cheap they perform a little below average and quite tolerable in the dry but in the wet they lose all traction and feel quite dangerous so I would never buy them again they are simply not cheap enough.

CDP

Original Poster:

6,336 posts

213 months

Thursday 27th August
quotequote all
Moegreen said:
I agree with the moral of your exercise/story; We should indeed be careful of things made in china. Frightening, the abysmal quality of all products that have been coming out of there for so many years.


No, I've got some Nangkings on the front of my A4 at recommendation of the garage (who also race in 750mc) and they are very good. But Nangking come from The Republic of China as opposed to The People's Republic of China....

Seriously, the Runways breaking up were pretty nasty.