The OSX/Apple support thread

The OSX/Apple support thread

Author
Discussion

craigjm

12,823 posts

168 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
mmm-five said:
Can you get back in to the Recovery options to see if you can disable the security, so that you can either fully remove your credentials (will need to be connected to the internet for it to verify you of course) and/or boot from an external drive to do your reinstall?
No it wont do either of these two things

craigjm

12,823 posts

168 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
vaud said:
I think the Genius people have a way of overriding it, but I forget the details.
I tried using the restore function in apple configurator 2 from another mac linked together but still not having it

vaud

41,224 posts

123 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
craigjm said:
I tried using the restore function in apple configurator 2 from another mac linked together but still not having it
I think they have an Apple only one that isn't available to the public, but I might be mistaken.

CoolHands

13,259 posts

163 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
Can you log onto iCloud and somehow sign out of the Apple ID on the machine? Grasping at straws though

craigjm

12,823 posts

168 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
CoolHands said:
Can you log onto iCloud and somehow sign out of the Apple ID on the machine? Grasping at straws though
Done that. Made no difference

Ozone

2,945 posts

155 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
From here https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/reset-mac

They recommend:

Back up your MacBook. We can't overstate the importance of this step. Creating a backup will protect your important files. If you don't backup your data, it will disappear when you factory reset.
Sign out of iTunes. Choose Account > Authorizations > Deauthorize This Computer. If you're running the latest macOS Catalina, you can skip this step.
Sign out of iCloud. Hit the Apple menu, go to System Preferences then click the Apple ID. Choose iCloud from the side panel and Turn off Find my Mac. Then click Overview and Sign out.
Sign out of iMessage. Open the Messages app, choose Messages then Preferences. Click iMessage and Sign Out.
Unpair Bluetooth devices. Go to the Apple menu>System Preferences and choose Bluetooth. Here, you can unpair keyboards, headphones or other Bluetooth-enabled peripherals.

craigjm

12,823 posts

168 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
Ozone said:
From here https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/reset-mac

They recommend:

Back up your MacBook. We can't overstate the importance of this step. Creating a backup will protect your important files. If you don't backup your data, it will disappear when you factory reset.
Sign out of iTunes. Choose Account > Authorizations > Deauthorize This Computer. If you're running the latest macOS Catalina, you can skip this step.
Sign out of iCloud. Hit the Apple menu, go to System Preferences then click the Apple ID. Choose iCloud from the side panel and Turn off Find my Mac. Then click Overview and Sign out.
Sign out of iMessage. Open the Messages app, choose Messages then Preferences. Click iMessage and Sign Out.
Unpair Bluetooth devices. Go to the Apple menu>System Preferences and choose Bluetooth. Here, you can unpair keyboards, headphones or other Bluetooth-enabled peripherals.
Yes I am way past that point

Ozone

2,945 posts

155 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all

craigjm

12,823 posts

168 months

Thursday 1st April
quotequote all
Ozone said:
Yep done that and still get same error

craigjm

12,823 posts

168 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Took it to a local computer shop that has the software that Apple use. Apparently it does what I experienced when you don’t log out of iCloud and try and wipe the machine as a security measure to stop stolen machines being sold on. I had to prove I owned it with the original invoice and cross their palm with £50. Won’t make that mistake again

PushedDover

3,473 posts

21 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Anyone else having Mail app crash on the Iphone since the last update?

Just tried to reply all to a mail this morning - everytime I hit send, the app crashes.

Reopen it - its there, but crashes on send.

I've closed the app, I've rebooted the phone. same problem remains.

Craikeybaby

9,384 posts

193 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
No. Is it always with the same email account? If so, what provider (iCloud/Gmail/???)?

PushedDover

3,473 posts

21 months

Tuesday 13th April
quotequote all
Craikeybaby said:
No. Is it always with the same email account? If so, what provider (iCloud/Gmail/???)?
Problem has mysteriuously resolved. Seemed to occur when 'Reply All' on the corporate exchange server.

ATC110

23 posts

21 months

Thursday 22nd April
quotequote all
My MacBook Pro started randomly shutting down and not powering up.

The Apple Store has said the logic board needs replacing at a cost of £469.

I asked about goodwill with the machine being less than 4 years old but was told there is none.

Has anyone managed to get a replacement under the CRA or managed to get a third party repair?

PushedDover

3,473 posts

21 months

Wednesday 5th May
quotequote all
I run a Mac, and MBA.

On both Office 365, and on both multiple email accounts (different domains) in Outlook.
Of late, one of the email accounts on the MBA only requires me to put in the Password 'every time' on opening, logging in, or just because.

I have tried to clear it, delete the account completely, and googlefu is giving a lot of reference to older versions of Outlook (2016 etc) but not getting much guidance elsewhere....


PushedDover

3,473 posts

21 months

Wednesday 19th May
quotequote all
No one got any ideas on this? It is doing my head in, every time the mac is opened, reconnects to the wifi etc etc

vaud

41,224 posts

123 months

Wednesday 19th May
quotequote all
I had this for a while with my enterprise 365 account and I ended up rebuilding the machine.

As a test, try downloading Onyx and clearing all the caches, etc and a PRAM reset.

PushedDover

3,473 posts

21 months

Thursday 20th May
quotequote all
vaud said:
I had this for a while with my enterprise 365 account and I ended up rebuilding the machine.

As a test, try downloading Onyx and clearing all the caches, etc and a PRAM reset.
Thanks - Onyx looks a little daunting !
Will go off to research

Heaveho

3,812 posts

142 months

Saturday 29th May
quotequote all
Ongoing nonsense with my iphone SE.2020. I'm now on my 2nd, the first having been replaced under warranty at 10 months old when it bricked a couple of days after the 14.4 update in April. Immediately after that update, the phone stopped seeing my Apple battery case, and lost charge way faster than prior to the update. Double whammy.

5 weeks in to new SE and new battery case, and it's stopped seeing the case again. This morning I tested both cases on another phone, and they both still work. An hour at the Apple shop with a genius resulted in a 14.6 update. After which, my phone still can't see the cases, and I'm assured it's not the phone, it's the cases. Obviously bks, but that doesn't help me.

My first experience with iphones, and once the contract is up with Vodafone, my last. How people put up with this is a mystery to me.

hungry_hog

1,456 posts

156 months

Monday 31st May
quotequote all
Heaveho said:
Ongoing nonsense with my iphone SE.2020. I'm now on my 2nd, the first having been replaced under warranty at 10 months old when it bricked a couple of days after the 14.4 update in April. Immediately after that update, the phone stopped seeing my Apple battery case, and lost charge way faster than prior to the update. Double whammy.

5 weeks in to new SE and new battery case, and it's stopped seeing the case again. This morning I tested both cases on another phone, and they both still work. An hour at the Apple shop with a genius resulted in a 14.6 update. After which, my phone still can't see the cases, and I'm assured it's not the phone, it's the cases. Obviously bks, but that doesn't help me.

My first experience with iphones, and once the contract is up with Vodafone, my last. How people put up with this is a mystery to me.
Had iPhones for 13 years, since the days of the 3GS.

Never had an issue, but then I never use battery cases. How difficult is it to carry a charger with you? Or have one charger in the office and one at the workplace. Or one of those portable batteries?
I know the battery case is official but I don't like the idea of them as it surely makes the phone hot.