Philips Hue Lighting - owners thread

Philips Hue Lighting - owners thread

Author
Discussion

stevensdrs

2,848 posts

169 months

Saturday 10th July
quotequote all
It's instant.

dapprman

1,546 posts

236 months

Tuesday 13th July
quotequote all
Just been to my local Lidl (Watford) - note online they suggest some items may be missing, but I'm not so sure as there was more than they had listed. For bulbs there were warm G10 and screw mounts, plus some of the screw mount vintage look type. Key thing is if you're after plugs as they had these in stock once more - still £7.99 each.

option click

1,145 posts

195 months

Thursday 22nd July
quotequote all
Can anyone recommend a recessed spotlight that'll take a Hue GU10 bulb?

Looking for something similar to the Hue Centura, but suitable for a Bathroom (and better quality, going by some of the Amazon reviews)

JimbobVFR

2,417 posts

113 months

Thursday 22nd July
quotequote all
option click said:
Can anyone recommend a recessed spotlight that'll take a Hue GU10 bulb?

Looking for something similar to the Hue Centura, but suitable for a Bathroom (and better quality, going by some of the Amazon reviews)
White and white ambience GU10s have always been standard GU10 size.

Colour GU10s it's only the older generation bulbs that were longer. The latest colour GU10 with Bluetooth is also the same standard GU10 size.

It does seem generally harder to find GU10 fittings as most seem to be integrated LEDs now but you shouldn't need anything specific for the latest Hue GU10s to fit.

UTH

3,068 posts

147 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
Does anyone have the Hue TV sync system?

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/explore-hue/prop...

As expected, this stuff is addictive haha.

The TV thing looks pretty cool on videos I've seen, but it's not cheap......anyone got it and can tell me it's a terrible idea or it's actually awesome?

Heartworm

1,751 posts

130 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
UTH said:
Does anyone have the Hue TV sync system?

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/explore-hue/prop...

As expected, this stuff is addictive haha.

The TV thing looks pretty cool on videos I've seen, but it's not cheap......anyone got it and can tell me it's a terrible idea or it's actually awesome?
I’ve not hue sync, I think it’s great on the Phillips TVs but the sync has looked overpriced and it only works with us not 4K, and will only work with hdmi inputs to the tv, it won’t work if you view using the apps built into the tv.

UTH

3,068 posts

147 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
Heartworm said:
I’ve not hue sync, I think it’s great on the Phillips TVs but the sync has looked overpriced and it only works with us not 4K, and will only work with hdmi inputs to the tv, it won’t work if you view using the apps built into the tv.
I have a Samsung TV....I assume it'll work with that as well?
I imagine I'd just plug my Sky Q box into the sync box, and I'd use things like Prime, Netflix through the Sky box.....so they'll work, right?

Heartworm

1,751 posts

130 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
UTH said:
I have a Samsung TV....I assume it'll work with that as well?
I imagine I'd just plug my Sky Q box into the sync box, and I'd use things like Prime, Netflix through the Sky box.....so they'll work, right?
Yes that will work,

UTH

3,068 posts

147 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
Heartworm said:
UTH said:
I have a Samsung TV....I assume it'll work with that as well?
I imagine I'd just plug my Sky Q box into the sync box, and I'd use things like Prime, Netflix through the Sky box.....so they'll work, right?
Yes that will work,
Ok.....now the process of staring at the shopping basket on Amazon convincing myself to do it!

dapprman

1,546 posts

236 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
Not sure who good it will be with the sync box. I have a Philips TV with Ambilight, which works better - linked it in to a couple of my lights and it was rather weird, so I unlinked. As to the ambilight itself - superb, really works, however this is with the built in system so the lights are instant and far more granular (9 each side, not sure about on top, my model does not have underneath).

UTH

3,068 posts

147 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
dapprman said:
Not sure who good it will be with the sync box. I have a Philips TV with Ambilight, which works better - linked it in to a couple of my lights and it was rather weird, so I unlinked. As to the ambilight itself - superb, really works, however this is with the built in system so the lights are instant and far more granular (9 each side, not sure about on top, my model does not have underneath).
Sorry, bit dim.....what's ambilight?

Edit: just read up on it. Sounds like the sync box with led strips is basically a way of adding the ambilight feature to any tv set up? No reason why it wouldn't be any good surely?

Edited by UTH on Monday 2nd August 16:13

phil4

933 posts

207 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
I've got the hue sync stuff with the multicolour strip.

Yes, you need to feed anything you want to watch through the Sync box, so on TV tuner/apps won't work.

In terms of the strip itself be gentle with the strip at the corners when you install it. And consider getting a couple of the smart light bars, to but along the bottom of the TV (I found 2 works well). Otherwise you get an odd dark patch along the bottom.

It works really nicely once you stop looking specifically at it, adding to the TV picture, and some cool bits when for example a program goes to white, and the whole TV and room lights up properly.

UTH

3,068 posts

147 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
phil4 said:
I've got the hue sync stuff with the multicolour strip.

Yes, you need to feed anything you want to watch through the Sync box, so on TV tuner/apps won't work.

In terms of the strip itself be gentle with the strip at the corners when you install it. And consider getting a couple of the smart light bars, to but along the bottom of the TV (I found 2 works well). Otherwise you get an odd dark patch along the bottom.

It works really nicely once you stop looking specifically at it, adding to the TV picture, and some cool bits when for example a program goes to white, and the whole TV and room lights up properly.
Do you have any other lights linked up with it? I think we'll probably end up with a couple of small table lamps on a low unit below the TV, was thinking about fitting hue bulbs in those as well to add to it all.

phil4

933 posts

207 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
UTH said:
Do you have any other lights linked up with it? I think we'll probably end up with a couple of small table lamps on a low unit below the TV, was thinking about fitting hue bulbs in those as well to add to it all.
Yeah, all the room spots are hue, so the 6 over the TV are in the same "Entertainment zone" and chip in. They're really subtle though (do help when it goes all white), but the extra bars at the bottom of the TV help with under there.

As you can add to it (but not so easily take away), why not try with just the strip and see how it looks, you can then try adding another light or two if you feel the need.

UTH

3,068 posts

147 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
phil4 said:
UTH said:
Do you have any other lights linked up with it? I think we'll probably end up with a couple of small table lamps on a low unit below the TV, was thinking about fitting hue bulbs in those as well to add to it all.
Yeah, all the room spots are hue, so the 6 over the TV are in the same "Entertainment zone" and chip in. They're really subtle though (do help when it goes all white), but the extra bars at the bottom of the TV help with under there.

As you can add to it (but not so easily take away), why not try with just the strip and see how it looks, you can then try adding another light or two if you feel the need.
Yeah I'll probably start with the strip and then let my addiction takeover and add more. All of our spots are currently hues, but not sure I'll add them into the entertainment mix.

dapprman

1,546 posts

236 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
UTH said:
Sorry, bit dim.....what's ambilight?

Edit: just read up on it. Sounds like the sync box with led strips is basically a way of adding the ambilight feature to any tv set up? No reason why it wouldn't be any good surely?

Edited by UTH on Monday 2nd August 16:13
Ambilight is instantaneous, where as you get lag with the external systems as they require a camera to be pointed at the screen and it dictates the lighting. As a result the colour areas are not as fine or as detailed. I've seen demos and they've been fine until you watch an ambilight TV.

Heartworm

1,751 posts

130 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
dapprman said:
Ambilight is instantaneous, where as you get lag with the external systems as they require a camera to be pointed at the screen and it dictates the lighting. As a result the colour areas are not as fine or as detailed. I've seen demos and they've been fine until you watch an ambilight TV.
Hue sync does not require a camera, is produced by Phillips and uses the input to the tv producing no lag as hue has the image before the TV.

UTH

3,068 posts

147 months

Monday 2nd August
quotequote all
Heartworm said:
dapprman said:
Ambilight is instantaneous, where as you get lag with the external systems as they require a camera to be pointed at the screen and it dictates the lighting. As a result the colour areas are not as fine or as detailed. I've seen demos and they've been fine until you watch an ambilight TV.
Hue sync does not require a camera, is produced by Phillips and uses the input to the tv producing no lag as hue has the image before the TV.
Yeah I was confused by the camera thing above!

mw88

489 posts

80 months

Tuesday 3rd August
quotequote all
UTH said:
Does anyone have the Hue TV sync system?

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/explore-hue/prop...

As expected, this stuff is addictive haha.

The TV thing looks pretty cool on videos I've seen, but it's not cheap......anyone got it and can tell me it's a terrible idea or it's actually awesome?
Haven't got the sync HDMI box, but I do use the Sync App on Windows with a couple of the Play Lightbars behind the monitor.

Works well when gaming, would probably be better with the multi colour strip. I don't watch many films, so £250 is a bit steep for the HDMI box

dapprman

1,546 posts

236 months

Tuesday 3rd August
quotequote all
Heartworm said:
Hue sync does not require a camera, is produced by Phillips and uses the input to the tv producing no lag as hue has the image before the TV.
It's still an external device and unless one of you here has it and is able to confirm otherwise, every test I've seen on YouTube has suffered from lag, it's rivals use cameras and are cheaper, but I've only seen one comparison test and that actually produced better results with the cheaper rival.

Now if you're in the rare situation where you're buying a new TV - the ambilight system is truly superior, however at the costs of modern TVs it's not something you're going to go for just for the peripheral effect. I was able to go this route as my old plasma set was starting to struggle and had been displaying ghost images for years (BBC News 24 flash - as I tend to leave that channel running in the background when I'm home), additionally for me the Philips TV worked as well as it's rivals in within my budget and requirement.