Best artist tablet for teenager to start on

Best artist tablet for teenager to start on

Author
Discussion

George Smiley

Original Poster:

4,773 posts

39 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
Our girl soon turns 13. She’s really into her art and has been hinting at a tablet to draw on

At first we were looking at an iPad with a pen as it covers all the bases for more than just art but it isn’t it’s primary task and is prohibitively expensive

As I have a license for photoshop and a spare PC we’ve started looking at a dedicated tablet such as Wacom or Xp pen

This is where it’s getting difficult

Our budget is 500 max

The xp pen seems to be a cheaper version of Wacom but we don’t need all the expensive features of the latter

Most important is accuracy and feel, 4K is not a priority but would be nice

Trouble is both makes have a few devices in budget but you get more with xp pen but Wacom seem to trade on their better quality (and higher price)

So pointers would be really welcome

singlecoil

28,890 posts

204 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
Why not get a graphics tablet that doesn't have a screen but which is just an input device, the user watches the PC screen while drawing on the tablet. You'll get a lot more for your money, get the type that has programmable buttons, she'll want those.

singlecoil

28,890 posts

204 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
These are good, plenty of budget left over for a decent monitor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-K100910-Intuos-Medi...

George Smiley

Original Poster:

4,773 posts

39 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
I can check with her as I had similar thoughts and had been looking at that along with the Wacom one

Thing is I think she wants to get one she can directly see what’s being drawn

singlecoil

28,890 posts

204 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
Thing is I think she wants to get one she can directly see what’s being drawn
I went down that road after experimenting with the type linked above. Problem is the cheap ones are st,sent one back, got a better one, still not good enough, ended up with a 27" QHD Wacom. get a small Wacom if cost is a significant consideration.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-Cintiq-Full-Display...

George Smiley

Original Poster:

4,773 posts

39 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
That’s the model we have ended up looking at but then the xp pen 15.6 artist pro comes into play and that looks like good vfm

The_Jackal

4,597 posts

155 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
Just get an intuos for your PC. It will just work brilliantly at just being a digital drawing device.
All the screens and stuff look fancy but wont make her any better and are just more to go wrong.
Unless you are in a high end trendy art office, I think you are more likely to come across normal wacom tablets. You dont want her only being able to draw on stuff she can see, if she wants to break into the graphics world.
Learn the pen, then if she gets to draw on a screen it is a bonus.


ajprice

18,854 posts

154 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
Have a look at tech review / artist sites and YouTube channels like Brad Colbow https://www.brad.site/ . For pen displays, XP Pen and Huion tend to be 90% of a Wacom for cheaper than Wacom price, according to the reviews.

MooSchmoo

175 posts

196 months

Monday 17th August
quotequote all
We ended up getting a second hand ipad pro and apple pencil for our daughter (was the same age) from the local equivalent of cash converters about 18 months ago. Couldn't justify the cost of brand new.

No trouble with them at all thankfully and has been a good buy, she's used them constantly!

George Smiley

Original Poster:

4,773 posts

39 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
ajprice said:
Have a look at tech review / artist sites and YouTube channels like Brad Colbow https://www.brad.site/ . For pen displays, XP Pen and Huion tend to be 90% of a Wacom for cheaper than Wacom price, according to the reviews.
That’s who I’ve been watching (amongst others), the Wacom 16 is £84 quid dearer but it’s winning over

All thanks for the help, I spoke about a pure tablet and she has her heart set in the screen type

As much as I’d like the apple for it offers a one shop solution I now feel the way to go is tablet.

The next challenge is finding somewhere we can try them out

singlecoil

28,890 posts

204 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
The next challenge is finding somewhere we can try them out
Buy the Wacom mail order, try it out at home running PS for up to 2 weeks, if she doesn't like it send it back and know that there's nothing better on the market, and abandon the idea altogether.

George Smiley

Original Poster:

4,773 posts

39 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
Buy the Wacom mail order, try it out at home running PS for up to 2 weeks, if she doesn't like it send it back and know that there's nothing better on the market, and abandon the idea altogether.
This!

Mr Whippy

22,695 posts

199 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
MooSchmoo said:
We ended up getting a second hand ipad pro and apple pencil for our daughter (was the same age) from the local equivalent of cash converters about 18 months ago. Couldn't justify the cost of brand new.

No trouble with them at all thankfully and has been a good buy, she's used them constantly!
After looking over all the options a few years ago, this is what everyone professional does who just does art/concept/sketching.

Yes Wacom are great for professionals sat at a desk all day working on X to give to Y via a Photoshop/other software pipeline blah blah, but if you just want to create then the iPad Pro setup looks very hard to beat.


With the iPad you can look at reference material, take photos of stuff, do your artwork, send it to people, all that, all in one device. They're great on colours, well supported for fixes/spare parts, etc etc.

singlecoil

28,890 posts

204 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
I would hate the small screen and I'd wonder if an iPad could run Photoshop and a decent size file.

JimSuperSix

3,686 posts

201 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
My daughter has one of these XP Pen 22 Pros and it's very good indeed - drawing directly onto the image is far easier and nicer than using a conventional tablet such as a standard Wacom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artist22-Graphic-Interact...

ajprice

18,854 posts

154 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
I would hate the small screen and I'd wonder if an iPad could run Photoshop and a decent size file.
There is Photoshop for iPad, but it's cut down from the Windows/Mac version. Kings of the iPad creative apps are Procreate and Affinity Photo / Designer.

https://procreate.art/

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

NWMark

444 posts

174 months

Tuesday 18th August
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
Our girl soon turns 13. She’s really into her art and has been hinting at a tablet to draw on

At first we were looking at an iPad with a pen as it covers all the bases for more than just art but it isn’t it’s primary task and is prohibitively expensive

As I have a license for photoshop and a spare PC we’ve started looking at a dedicated tablet such as Wacom or Xp pen

This is where it’s getting difficult

Our budget is 500 max
For a starter to see if she likes it. digital tablets do get a bit of getting used to and aren't suited to all art types.

Buy the latest iPad (10.2" - £349) and the pencil (£89) and see how she gets on - or buy both second hand and save around £100 and could be sold for similar if not wanted and / or she wants/needs PC based set-up

She can use it for many more things so you'll get more value out of it, it will be forever in her hand, by her bed, on her desk, so more likely to pick it up and use it.

Procreate is excellent and is a complete bargain at £10.

Mr Whippy

22,695 posts

199 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
Exactly, paying for photoshop these days is a joke for painting.

Again great if you have it, know it, use it, do pro work to justify cost etc (I still use cs6 on perpetual).

But iPad options are infinitely more sensible for *art* digitally imo.

singlecoil

28,890 posts

204 months

Friday 21st August
quotequote all
On the other hand, £10 a month for a hobby is pretty damn cheap, most hobbyists can only dream of such low cost.

For that you get the best painting program there is.

Add some ancillary equipment and away you go.

Mr Whippy

22,695 posts

199 months

Saturday 22nd August
quotequote all
For painting, PS hasn’t changed much since ~ 1996.

The painting side of PS should be free by now.

Tons of better stuff around for art for arts sake these days imo.