Nvidia 3000 Series Tonight

Nvidia 3000 Series Tonight

Author
Discussion

FourWheelDrift

82,475 posts

251 months

Sunday 23rd May
quotequote all
Now I've seen it all, a 7 year old Keppler based (not Pascal as stated in the advert) Titan Z for £1,320 !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194108879745?hash=item2...

A card so old it's losing support and updates this year - https://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-confirms-keppler-gp...


You can actually buy a significantly better 30xx series card for less, a 3060 for half that.

Calza

1,583 posts

82 months

Monday 24th May
quotequote all
FourWheelDrift said:
Not likely till 2022 though.

EIP 1559 may break others too?

SS9

214 posts

126 months

Wednesday 26th May
quotequote all
Lucas Ayde said:
You best bet is to set up an alert for a Scan 'Nvidia FE' drop .... they are happening about every 3-5 weeks. As the cards are coming from NVidia at 'official' RRPs (which are waaaaay lower than open market value), Scan take measures against bots and scalpers (one FE card per customer - ever) and you at least have a chance to get one IF you are onto the site immediately. Keep retrying even if they all appear to have been sold as quite a few orders get immediately rejected for various reasons and that card becomes available again.

Also, the FE cards are superb pieces of engineering. They look great and are very well constructed. The coolers are effective and quiet and the cards are really compact compared to typical AIB models.


Depending on the alert service, you'll also probably get alerts for AIB cards on Amazon (and a few others) but IMO you have next to zero chance of getting one - people have worked out ways around any bot protection they put up and cards are hoovered up instantly.
Thanks for sharing these words of wisdom - I scored a 3080 in the 'FE Drop' tonight.

Kept an eye (scripted) on the Nvidia site at the Founders Edition cards and as soon as the buy now button appeared I clicked through and was buying through Scan.

Hadn't realised until now that Nvidia were using Scan as an official distributor for FE cards, nor that Scan scramble the URLs for each drop so you can't watch the pages directly. Once I got my head around this it was just a case of getting there before the other alert services sent the rest of the crowds that way!

Edited to add: bought for gaming and won't be scalping. Will share build specs on here when the rest of it arrives smile

Steven_RW

1,348 posts

169 months

Thursday 27th May
quotequote all
SS9 said:
Lucas Ayde said:
You best bet is to set up an alert for a Scan 'Nvidia FE' drop .... they are happening about every 3-5 weeks. As the cards are coming from NVidia at 'official' RRPs (which are waaaaay lower than open market value), Scan take measures against bots and scalpers (one FE card per customer - ever) and you at least have a chance to get one IF you are onto the site immediately. Keep retrying even if they all appear to have been sold as quite a few orders get immediately rejected for various reasons and that card becomes available again.

Also, the FE cards are superb pieces of engineering. They look great and are very well constructed. The coolers are effective and quiet and the cards are really compact compared to typical AIB models.


Depending on the alert service, you'll also probably get alerts for AIB cards on Amazon (and a few others) but IMO you have next to zero chance of getting one - people have worked out ways around any bot protection they put up and cards are hoovered up instantly.
Thanks for sharing these words of wisdom - I scored a 3080 in the 'FE Drop' tonight.

Kept an eye (scripted) on the Nvidia site at the Founders Edition cards and as soon as the buy now button appeared I clicked through and was buying through Scan.

Hadn't realised until now that Nvidia were using Scan as an official distributor for FE cards, nor that Scan scramble the URLs for each drop so you can't watch the pages directly. Once I got my head around this it was just a case of getting there before the other alert services sent the rest of the crowds that way!

Edited to add: bought for gaming and won't be scalping. Will share build specs on here when the rest of it arrives smile
Well done :-). I got the alerts and bagged a 3090 but during payment was declined. I had entirely forgotten that I bought a 3090 for a friend that is a 3d artist and needed two. It was way back last year and I guess scan recognised that my address had already had a 3090 and declined me. All that waiting and monitoring of sites and I got the big fat decline due to having had one sent to my address before. Lordy. Annoying. Now I need to find someone else willing to buy one for me next time there is a drop. The assumption at the time was that any "one per household" thing would have been long gone in a couple of months but reality is we are still here suffering from the same shortages issues.

Glade

3,727 posts

190 months

Thursday 27th May
quotequote all
Glad I got hold of my 3070 for £750 in Jan... 100+ fps @3840x1600 in warzone has kept me sane during lockdown.

It now feels like it's been a long time since I got my card. if people are still having availability/price issues it seems that the £300 (ish) "overs" paid are being depreciated and converted into joy at being able to play games every month.

I wonder if they will ever be freely available for the MSRP.

halo34

1,946 posts

166 months

Thursday 27th May
quotequote all
Missed the alerts as I was out walking and were all gone (3090 FEs) yet again, so frustrating.

mmm-five

9,191 posts

251 months

Thursday 27th May
quotequote all
Glade said:
Glad I got hold of my 3070 for £750 in Jan... 100+ fps @3840x1600 in warzone has kept me sane during lockdown.

It now feels like it's been a long time since I got my card. if people are still having availability/price issues it seems that the £300 (ish) "overs" paid are being depreciated and converted into joy at being able to play games every month.

I wonder if they will ever be freely available for the MSRP.
Is it bad to feel smug that I got mine at RRP in December (albeit ordered in October, and it just being a basic Zotac one) tongue out

Prefer the look of the FE versions, and was planning to swap out for a FE3080 once I went up to 4k...but the prices of both the GPU and a decent 4k monitor means I'll be sticking with 1440p for now!

Edited by mmm-five on Thursday 27th May 09:58

Lucas Ayde

2,552 posts

135 months

Thursday 27th May
quotequote all
SS9 said:
Thanks for sharing these words of wisdom - I scored a 3080 in the 'FE Drop' tonight.

Kept an eye (scripted) on the Nvidia site at the Founders Edition cards and as soon as the buy now button appeared I clicked through and was buying through Scan.

Hadn't realised until now that Nvidia were using Scan as an official distributor for FE cards, nor that Scan scramble the URLs for each drop so you can't watch the pages directly. Once I got my head around this it was just a case of getting there before the other alert services sent the rest of the crowds that way!

Edited to add: bought for gaming and won't be scalping. Will share build specs on here when the rest of it arrives smile
Well done! Crazy that you have to rely on essentially 'extreme measures' to have a chance of getting an RTX3000 series card for a sensible price (or at all, even).

The FEs are fantastic - my 3070FE is honestly the best example of design/construction in a piece of PC gear I've ever had. It's a thing of beauty.

Yeah, Scan are the official distributor for the FE drops. They do a pretty good job at protecting against bots and would be scalpers - maybe too good as quite a few people find themselves getting declined at the purchase stage because of some irregularity, usually centred around the credit card. Also one FE card (of any kind) per customer - ever. Possibly that esclusion applies to any previous purchase of an AIB RTX3000 card too, it's not clear.

FourWheelDrift

82,475 posts

251 months

Monday 31st May
quotequote all
3080 Ti & 3070 Ti are here available soon - https://twitter.com/ZOTAC/status/13994255886124482...

FourWheelDrift

82,475 posts

251 months

Monday 31st May
quotequote all
Here they come - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdZdBBw8PE

Damn............

FourWheelDrift

82,475 posts

251 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all

halo34

1,946 posts

166 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
Question is whether you can get one I guess, am still half trying to grab a 3090.

FourWheelDrift

82,475 posts

251 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
Doom eternal on a 3080 Ti @ 4k with RTX - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2QTYUms4ms

RTX & DLSS coming to many more games, including the just now announced DOOM Eternal, Red Dead Redemption 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Icarus, LEGO Builder’s Journey, DYING: 1983, The Ascent, and The Persistence.

HRL

2,536 posts

186 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
halo34 said:
Question is whether you can get one I guess, am still half trying to grab a 3090.
If you’re after a FE model and you’d rather a quieter card, I’d just get the 3090FE if you can find one and be done with it.

The bigger card has the better cooler on it.

thetoxicnerve

24,453 posts

144 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
FourWheelDrift said:
RTX & DLSS coming to many more games, including the just now announced DOOM Eternal, Red Dead Redemption 2
The latter I can see the need. The former? Not so much, the engine is incredible and the game runs like a dream on older hardware, let alone 3000 series!

Lucas Ayde

2,552 posts

135 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
Will they continue to make the non-Ti versions I wonder? Probably not, or at least it will put pressure on the numbers of older spec cards available. They will want to shift sales to the higher priced units.

It's a handy way to take advantage of the fact that Nvidia can now command much higher prices for their GPUs than they announced for their original lineup of RTX30x0 cards, especially in the case of the 3080Ti.

Can't say I blame them too much - despite the massive scalping and profiteering at the retail level that GPU sales have attracted in the last six months, Nvidia won't have seen much if any direct benefit. In fact, to their credit they have continued to make and sell their original line of FE cards at RRP, even though supply has never come close to demand.

Could be a good chance for the likes of Microsoft to make console sales to PC owners unable to upgrade their GPU ... The Xbox Series X does sort of sell itself as a direct alternative to the PC for gaming. If MS can maintain a good supply of product there is a real chance for them to gain ground here.



FourWheelDrift

82,475 posts

251 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
I think they should still be making non-Ti cards, they always have with 10, 9, 7 series. It was only the Super range that replaced the original cards.

halo34

1,946 posts

166 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
HRL said:
halo34 said:
Question is whether you can get one I guess, am still half trying to grab a 3090.
If you’re after a FE model and you’d rather a quieter card, I’d just get the 3090FE if you can find one and be done with it.

The bigger card has the better cooler on it.
Yeah thats my plan, FE suits me fine. The 3080 FTW3 I have is worth enough the change wont cost me too much and will do me for a long time.

I mainly play DCS/Flight SIMS to whatever I can throw at it helps.

The problem is getting the FE in time to trade around whilst my cards still worth a decent amount. My attempts at alerts have so far failed to nab one.

CEX are selling the FE @ 2300, which is nuts.

RacerMike

2,927 posts

178 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
halo34 said:
HRL said:
halo34 said:
Question is whether you can get one I guess, am still half trying to grab a 3090.
If you’re after a FE model and you’d rather a quieter card, I’d just get the 3090FE if you can find one and be done with it.

The bigger card has the better cooler on it.
Yeah thats my plan, FE suits me fine. The 3080 FTW3 I have is worth enough the change wont cost me too much and will do me for a long time.

I mainly play DCS/Flight SIMS to whatever I can throw at it helps.

The problem is getting the FE in time to trade around whilst my cards still worth a decent amount. My attempts at alerts have so far failed to nab one.

CEX are selling the FE @ 2300, which is nuts.
I've placed an order with Infinite Computing who will let you join their backorder list. It's going to be a couple of months I suspect until I get to the front of the queue, but it takes the stress out of it and means you've got a guaranteed card at some point. I'm also then looking when I can for a stock drop that isn't with one of the suppliers trying to ruthlessly scalp everyone by charging double or triple the RRP.

Given the current silicon shortage, I strongly suspect that your existing card will maintain reasonable value for most of the year.