Mercedes servicing

Mercedes servicing

Author
Discussion

yellowbentines

4,445 posts

167 months

Tuesday 22nd September
quotequote all
I've just cancelled my MB service plan, from now on will use an independent locally that has access to the Mercedes Benz dealer portal to update the Digital Service Record, the car is out of warranty anyway

My view based on recent experience is that by taking the service plan with an MB main dealer, when you drop your car off with them, there is no gain for them on the day unless they sell you something additional - you're taking up workshop time.

In June, I dropped my CLS off at the main dealer at 8am, the handy app on my phone tells me the car wasn't unlocked or driven until 3:45pm. At 4:00pm I get a call telling me my car is 'fully serviced' and I can pick it up, but I need new front discs and pads. What is the disc thickness I ask? Erm...technician has gone home. No problem, I have a digital gauge, I'll measure the discs - they're fine. Car isn't washed or vacuumed, service sheet showing what checks have been done isn't available (its all online sir...), in short I doubt they did anything, a quick oil change at most.

It could happen anywhere, but have a look at a job description for a Mercedes-Benz technician or service adviser and you'll see the phrase 'commission scheme' mentioned.

As for resale, I've never had any dealer I've part-exchanged with check a service history was with a main dealer, they've asked if it has a full service history, but that's it.

Welshbeef

42,396 posts

158 months

Tuesday 22nd September
quotequote all
yellowbentines said:
I've just cancelled my MB service plan, from now on will use an independent locally that has access to the Mercedes Benz dealer portal to update the Digital Service Record, the car is out of warranty anyway

My view based on recent experience is that by taking the service plan with an MB main dealer, when you drop your car off with them, there is no gain for them on the day unless they sell you something additional - you're taking up workshop time.

In June, I dropped my CLS off at the main dealer at 8am, the handy app on my phone tells me the car wasn't unlocked or driven until 3:45pm. At 4:00pm I get a call telling me my car is 'fully serviced' and I can pick it up, but I need new front discs and pads. What is the disc thickness I ask? Erm...technician has gone home. No problem, I have a digital gauge, I'll measure the discs - they're fine. Car isn't washed or vacuumed, service sheet showing what checks have been done isn't available (its all online sir...), in short I doubt they did anything, a quick oil change at most.

It could happen anywhere, but have a look at a job description for a Mercedes-Benz technician or service adviser and you'll see the phrase 'commission scheme' mentioned.

As for resale, I've never had any dealer I've part-exchanged with check a service history was with a main dealer, they've asked if it has a full service history, but that's it.
That’s dire - I hope you reported this properly

yellowbentines

4,445 posts

167 months

Tuesday 22nd September
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
That’s dire - I hope you reported this properly
I did. Mercedes UK customer services got involved. I sent photos of the brake discs checked each side with a digital gauge, showing well over the minimum thickness and well over what they eventually told me they'd recorded the thickness as. They sided with the dealership and said all their technicians are trained and they trust their judgement, they werent interested in me bringing the car back for them to check again in front of me.

You can get ripped off anywhere, but a setup where service staff get commission to sell consumables encourages it IMO.

Sheepshanks

21,987 posts

79 months

Tuesday 22nd September
quotequote all
Sprinter16 said:
Thanks for your reply. It's a C-CLASS C 220 D AMG LINE PREMIUM so nothing extravagant. The list of what's done is:-

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Check & advise if cabin pollen filter is required according to age/mileage
Check front and rear lights
Check horn
Top up screen wash bottle
Check wiper blades
Check front (and rear) wash and wipe system and adjust jet settings
Check coolant strength and level (minimum -25C)
Check power steering fluid level
Visual look over top of engine compartment for obvious faults
Visual check underneath for excessive oil leaks
Check condition and security of undertray
Check battery condition
Check for correct clutch operation
Check for correct gearbox operation
Check and top up clutch fluid where applicable
Check drive shaft gaitors for security and report leaks
Check for timing belt (cambelt) replacement interval and report if replacement due according to mileage or age
Remove road wheels
Check tyre condition and tread depth (including spare)
Check and adjust tyre pressures (including spare)
Set wheel nut torque to manufacturer's settings
Inspect exhaust system (including catalyst if fitted) for leaks, security and noise
Visual check for exhaust smoke
Check brake pads for wear or damage
Check brake callipers for leaks and security
Visually check brake hydraulic system, pipes and hoses for any leaks, chafing and corrosion
Check brake discs and drums for wear, cracks, corrosion and scoring or pitting (excluding internal drums)
Check brake fluid level and top up if required
Check dashboard warning lights
Reset service indicator
Stamp paper service book or update Mercedes Digital Service History
Carry out road test and final checks
If you got that list from MyService or the ESS using your car reg no then likely it won’t be right until the car is nearer the time when service is due. I think the diesel fuel filter is done at 3yrs now and that bumps the cost up quite a bit.

From your later posts sounds like the price you got was a guesstimate anyway, not based on what’s actually needed.


Edited by Sheepshanks on Tuesday 22 September 23:32

Sheepshanks

21,987 posts

79 months

Tuesday 22nd September
quotequote all
yellowbentines said:
You can get ripped off anywhere, but a setup where service staff get commission to sell consumables encourages it IMO.
All dealer groups do this. And it’s not just commission - if they don’t perform they’re out on their ear.
The local Inchcape dealers for Mercedes and VW came across as scam artists.

Blue62

5,326 posts

112 months

Wednesday 23rd September
quotequote all
It’s a pet hate of mine, for the last few years I have gone outside the dealer network for consumables, but my last service (for an RS6) required a brake fluid change and the main dealer was actually cheaper.

As a footnote, I am in the process of selling the RS as I’ve just taken delivery of a new car and I’ve been asked more than once if the car has full main dealer servicing. The printed service record shows the oil service at an indie, it doesn’t seem to have affected the value but worth noting.

Mr M

1,238 posts

162 months

Wednesday 23rd September
quotequote all
I don't think I would use an MB maindealer but perhaps the qaulity varies frrom one to the other. On my experience, the last MB service done before I bought my car from MB, was supposed to have been a B service. The first service I had with the car, I took it to an MB independant garage. They dialled into the MB servicing brain in Germany and said the only thing that was done on the last service was to change the oil and filter. So who knows.

Sheepshanks

21,987 posts

79 months

Wednesday 23rd September
quotequote all
Mr M said:
I don't think I would use an MB maindealer but perhaps the qaulity varies frrom one to the other. On my experience, the last MB service done before I bought my car from MB, was supposed to have been a B service. The first service I had with the car, I took it to an MB independant garage. They dialled into the MB servicing brain in Germany and said the only thing that was done on the last service was to change the oil and filter. So who knows.
That could well be correct. Both the A and B service are just oil and filter changes with a few more checks on the B service. Everything else is "additional work" and depends on time and distance covered.

The ESS (electronic service sheet) that tells the dealers what to do is also notoriously inaccurate if the car is doing low or high mileage - ie the mileage gets out of line with what's expected for the car's age.

http://lite.servicemercedes.co.uk/ess/pc/

Tim bo

1,866 posts

100 months

Wednesday 23rd September
quotequote all
I've now had two services on a C63 bought from new, both at different main dealerships.

On neither occasion was there any attempt to sell me anything whatsoever.

Tim bo

1,866 posts

100 months

Wednesday 23rd September
quotequote all
Sheepshanks said:
That could well be correct. Both the A and B service are just oil and filter changes with a few more checks on the B service. Everything else is "additional work" and depends on time and distance covered.

The ESS (electronic service sheet) that tells the dealers what to do is also notoriously inaccurate if the car is doing low or high mileage - ie the mileage gets out of line with what's expected for the car's age.

http://lite.servicemercedes.co.uk/ess/pc/
This is concerning.

I do fk all miles in my C63 - 7.5k total now from new over almost 3 years, that's just 2.5k miles per annum.

So could be paying for more servicing than is required for my mileage ...

Terzo123

3,392 posts

168 months

Thursday 24th September
quotequote all
The servicing is either annually or based on mileage. Whatever comes first.

It is a bit galling having to service my C63 after having only done about 3k miles each year. Its well out of warranty now so I could probably justify servicing the car every 2 years/6k instead, but the service warning on the dash every time i started it would wear me down.

CitySlicker

273 posts

53 months

Thursday 24th September
quotequote all
Wow either the dealer is trying it on with you or their costs have massively inflated. A minor service on my SLS GT used to be 400GBP... You'll lose the complimentary break down cover if you don't service your car on time continuously with Mercedes so also worth bearing that in mind

Sheepshanks

21,987 posts

79 months

Thursday 24th September
quotequote all
Tim bo said:
This is concerning.

I do fk all miles in my C63 - 7.5k total now from new over almost 3 years, that's just 2.5k miles per annum.

So could be paying for more servicing than is required for my mileage ...
It's unlikely you're paying for more as everything is time or (except brake fluid) mileage based.

Older cars (like mine) are on variable servicing and mine will go the full two years between services - but the ESS can miss things out. Off the top of my head I think the routine additonal work is only air and cabin filters, plugs (or diesel filter) and brake fuild. Maybe it works better now the cars are on fixed interval servicing.

Other things like ATF, aux belt, coolant etc come up at pretty defined intervals so it's just a matter of making sure they get picked up.

TarquinMX5

384 posts

40 months

Thursday 24th September
quotequote all
Dave3166 said:
TarquinMX5 said:
Recently bought new MB, discussion on px value of old car, which was 10 year old owned-from-new MB with fsh. Sales 'executive' was really sorry that they couldn't offer a better price as the full service history wasn't MB main dealer. Okay, understood, but how much difference would it make if it was a full dealer history. Oh, an extra £200.

And there was me thinking it might be £thousands more biggrin

Didn't bother px-ing and have just kept it.

So, it depends how long you want to keep it.
£200, you could get that back not always going to MB.

Him saying that, probably marketing.
You will tell others, who will go to Merc for servicing because of what he said.

This is what it seems like to me.
Que?

Suggest you re-read it, or I'll make it simpler; 10 years top-whack main dealer servicing 'might' have added a colossal '£200' to the value on a good day. Hardly a big incentive over 10-years.

Mits

106 posts

178 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
raspy said:
Definitely sounds like your MB dealer is charging way too much.

I paid £550 for my "A" service on a C350e, and that also included brake fluid replacement, MOT and panoramic sunroof lubrication.

If you are prepared to drive away from where you live, you can get services done cheaper, I found 25% difference in service prices between London MB dealers and those 20-70 miles away from me. I checked using https://www.mymercedesservice.co.uk/#/your-vehicle

Personally for me, I don't mind paying for main dealer servicing on my 2015 C class, as it provides another 12 months Mobilio coverage, which I've found to be amazing. Early one Monday morning, my car's check engine light came on when starting, I phoned MB Mobilo, who told me to drive to the nearest MB dealer (tell them Mobilo sent you and they will book it in as an emergency, rather than you having to wait 2 weeks like dealers normally say), and then within 2 hours, Mobilio had arranged a brand new C class rental car whilst mine was being diagnosed. The next day I got a call from the dealer telling it was simply a software update problem (all resolved under MB warranty), and I could just collect it. I could even just leave the rental car at the main dealer when I went to pick up my one, and they would co-ordinate with the rental car firm to get it collected.
I just used the website above for my c43 and £398 for A service, £498 for B service. £100 more if done in London. Still way cheaper than my m3 for servicing.
I have noticed that if your a car person and know what you’re talking about when it comes to servicing, they won’t try and up sell.


Sheepshanks

21,987 posts

79 months

Friday 25th September
quotequote all
raspy said:
Definitely sounds like your MB dealer is charging way too much.

I paid £550 for my "A" service on a C350e, and that also included brake fluid replacement, MOT and panoramic sunroof lubrication.
If that was just a basic A service, then it's literally an oil and filter change and a few checks. Takes 30 mins. Brake fluid takes 10 mins and last time an MB dealer did mine they charged £40 - I think it lists at over £100. MOT is max £55 but most places (inc the dealer I used) do it for £30-40. I don't know about the sunroof - but hard to imagine that's a significant job.

£550 for that just seems mental. As you're set on using the dealer though have a look at ServiceCare - it should work out cheaper and I think there's still 20% off it at the moment.


raspy said:
Personally for me, I don't mind paying for main dealer servicing on my 2015 C class, as it provides another 12 months Mobilio coverage, which I've found to be amazing. Early one Monday morning, my car's check engine light came on when starting, I phoned MB Mobilo, who told me to drive to the nearest MB dealer (tell them Mobilo sent you and they will book it in as an emergency, rather than you having to wait 2 weeks like dealers normally say), and then within 2 hours, Mobilio had arranged a brand new C class rental car whilst mine was being diagnosed. The next day I got a call from the dealer telling it was simply a software update problem (all resolved under MB warranty), and I could just collect it. I could even just leave the rental car at the main dealer when I went to pick up my one, and they would co-ordinate with the rental car firm to get it collected.
Glad you're happy with that but they're supposed to come to you and should have been able to sort it out on the spot.

Skd884

773 posts

161 months

Saturday 26th September
quotequote all

Fat hippo

313 posts

94 months

Saturday 26th September
quotequote all
I’ve been looking for prices on rear discs and pads on a W205 c63. Done 17k miles.
Prices, give or take, that i’ve been quoted by main dealers do seem to vary with my local dealer confirming a labour rate of £200 per hour. However only 1.7 hrs for the work.

Local dealer in Greater London c£920, dealer in central London £770, dealer Further out in Kent £700. I understand the higher rate for London but the central london should be higher.
Anyway, i take my car for the MOT and service to the central london one

Welshbeef

42,396 posts

158 months

Saturday 26th September
quotequote all
Skd884 said:
Are you the chap in Caversham or Essex?
Local fellow PH if Caversham & I’ve seen the Hemdean Road Merc Indy

Skd884

773 posts

161 months

Saturday 26th September
quotequote all
Welshbeef said:
Are you the chap in Caversham or Essex?
Local fellow PH if Caversham & I’ve seen the Hemdean Road Merc Indy
No sir just across the bridge.