Sony Xperia Z

Author
Discussion

SlowStig

777 posts

119 months

Saturday 20th July 2013
quotequote all
Wheat said:
The external speaker broke on mine. But that was after testing the waterproofness out with a pint of coke. The sticky cola must of blocked the speaker. So washed with water and let dry in the sun. All fine.

Screen cracked in top left hand corner, found sony costumer service to be poor.
This guy is a genius, sat mine in a glass of water for 10 minutes and then sprayed compressed air in the speeaker vent and all of a sudden the speaker started working again!

Called Vodafone, as usual, they didn't give a toss.

Wheat

505 posts

78 months

Monday 22nd July 2013
quotequote all
SlowStig said:
This guy is a genius, sat mine in a glass of water for 10 minutes and then sprayed compressed air in the speeaker vent and all of a sudden the speaker started working again!

Called Vodafone, as usual, they didn't give a toss.
Ooo did attempt the coke test too? Glad I'm not the only one

bodhi

4,755 posts

177 months

Tuesday 23rd July 2013
quotequote all
Wheat said:
Ooo did attempt the coke test too? Glad I'm not the only one
I went for beer :-) Certainly impresses a bar full of people who work in IT anyway....

Anyway the upgrade is prett good. The lockscreen widgets are nice, but what I'm more impressed with are the "untangibles". Screen quality has definitely taken a bump, along with battery life and WiFi reception. Also a big fan of the new transparent notification bar.

QROPS

1,766 posts

132 months

Wednesday 24th July 2013
quotequote all
cv01jw said:
QROPS said:
If anyone is looking for either a black or white one let me know as we are switching to something a little smaller, so have our two to shift now.
PM Sent
Selling at 400 for the pair.

Edited by QROPS on Friday 26th July 11:30

QROPS

1,766 posts

132 months

Friday 26th July 2013
quotequote all
Anyone?

ST270

544 posts

130 months

Monday 29th July 2013
quotequote all
Well my Z broke on it's own on the weekend. The phone was in my jacket inside pocket, next time i went to use it I noticed 3 hairline cracks across the top third of the screen. It had cracked whilst in the pocket! The top half of the screen is useless although you can still make and receive calls.

Phone has never been dropped, no impact damage of any kind. A quick search and it seems quite a few have had the same issues - many when their phones have been hot from use. I am sending it back to Sony for evaluation of warranty cover but after reading a thread on the Sony forum I don't have much hope of getting it repaired under warranty. Link to thread here; http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/129625?start=130...

Apparently Sony just claim that it is due to external damage and not covered by the warranty - they are also not acknowledging that there is a design fault and are only offering replacements as goodwill gestures - so far to only 2 customers. Many others have contacted trading standards.

Have to wait and see what the Sony centre say and update...

Big Worm 1

491 posts

112 months

Monday 29th July 2013
quotequote all
ST270 said:
many when their phones have been hot from use.
Are many people having this issue? I have noticed my phone gets very warm when i use it, especially when my mobile data is being used!

ST270

544 posts

130 months

Tuesday 30th July 2013
quotequote all
Big Worm 1 said:
ST270 said:
many when their phones have been hot from use.
Are many people having this issue? I have noticed my phone gets very warm when i use it, especially when my mobile data is being used!
I think it is a minority who are experiencing this but from reading several Android / Sony threads it seems to be a common factor (it wasn't in my case) but another customer has mentioned that they had been watching a film on the phone so it will have been running hot and they saw the crack begin and run right along the screen whilst holding the phone.

bodhi

4,755 posts

177 months

Tuesday 30th July 2013
quotequote all
Big Worm 1 said:
Are many people having this issue? I have noticed my phone gets very warm when i use it, especially when my mobile data is being used!
Mine got quite warm before the update to 4.2.2, seems to be much better now though. Think it's the chipset they used, Nexus 4 uses the same hardware and I've heard of the same issues on that. If it gets too warm open a flap or two, normally cools it down.

Wheat

505 posts

78 months

Tuesday 6th August 2013
quotequote all
I still have not received the update. Any ideas why? It doesn't have a SIM in at the mo but is switched on and connected to WiFi all day long. Should I need a SIM in to receive the update?

Tycho

10,233 posts

221 months

Tuesday 6th August 2013
quotequote all
Wheat said:
I still have not received the update. Any ideas why? It doesn't have a SIM in at the mo but is switched on and connected to WiFi all day long. Should I need a SIM in to receive the update?
I've not had the update. Mine is an unbranded one and they seem to be the ones waiting for the update which is a bit weird as unbranded usually get updates first before the network crap.

higgsy18

77 posts

88 months

Tuesday 6th August 2013
quotequote all
Still waiting for my update too

Wheat

505 posts

78 months

Tuesday 6th August 2013
quotequote all
It seems mad that some get the update whilst others have to wait? I've gone back to iOS for now.. At least when there's an update ready it's actually available.

Tycho

10,233 posts

221 months

Tuesday 6th August 2013
quotequote all
Wheat said:
It seems mad that some get the update whilst others have to wait? I've gone back to iOS for now.. At least when there's an update ready it's actually available.
Really? You've changed to another phone because you haven't had an update? Seems a bit drastic to me.

Wheat

505 posts

78 months

Wednesday 7th August 2013
quotequote all
Tycho said:
Really? You've changed to another phone because you haven't had an update? Seems a bit drastic to me.
Ah no not quite, I just changed back to my iPhone because I just couldn't get used to the size of the xperia. And I cracked the screen on the xperia so had to change back whilst that was getting fixed. And never been able to get around the size to move back to the xperia. Plus the battery life is carp compared to my iPhone, so when the upgrade arrives and improves the battery then I might try again with the xperia.

pb1695

390 posts

124 months

Wednesday 7th August 2013
quotequote all
I have had mine for 4 weeks now, switched from an I Phone 5 - just fancied a change after years of I phone use!

My thoughts are mixed, the screen is great, sound quality on the Walkman is very good (for a Phone), the camera can be very good in some conditions but poor in others (dark settings). Battery lite is fantastic, it lasts around 24 hours in normal use.

Using it is not as intuitive as the I Phone, not all functions are obvious in the way they work, although I am getting used to it now. The smoothness of swiping the screen is not as natural as the I Phone, and apps seem to crash more often.

Overall, I really like it - the waterproof function was great on holiday, as was the large screen for playing games on a boring 4 hour flight!

Tycho

10,233 posts

221 months

Wednesday 7th August 2013
quotequote all
Wheat said:
Tycho said:
Really? You've changed to another phone because you haven't had an update? Seems a bit drastic to me.
Ah no not quite, I just changed back to my iPhone because I just couldn't get used to the size of the xperia. And I cracked the screen on the xperia so had to change back whilst that was getting fixed. And never been able to get around the size to move back to the xperia. Plus the battery life is carp compared to my iPhone, so when the upgrade arrives and improves the battery then I might try again with the xperia.
Ah, fair enough. The size does seem a bit marmite.

bodhi

4,755 posts

177 months

Wednesday 7th August 2013
quotequote all
Folks on XDA are reporting that the 4.2.2 update should be seeding to UK Unbranded handsets now. Try plugging your phones into Sony PC Companion and see if anything is available. Definitely worth it, I've had it for a while flashing the Generic Spanish ROM to it (doesn't affect warranty) using FlashTool, screen quality and sound quality have both improved.

Agree on the size being a bit marmite, I think it's on the upper limit of what's useable, but going back down a size (to my old Xperia S for example) seems very weird. I have an iPhone 4 through work, and that is borderline unusable for me now.

If you think the Z is a bit large, you'll love the Z Ultra! 6.4 inch screen! Not entirely sure how you use it as a phone, but I'm betting for browsing/emails/films its lovely.

Tycho

10,233 posts

221 months

Wednesday 7th August 2013
quotequote all
bodhi said:
Folks on XDA are reporting that the 4.2.2 update should be seeding to UK Unbranded handsets now. Try plugging your phones into Sony PC Companion and see if anything is available.
Cheers for the heads up. Downloading it now.

Wheat

505 posts

78 months

Wednesday 7th August 2013
quotequote all
Thanks for the heads up. Downloaded at lunch time and a brief go, the screen seems to be a lot sharper, and the phone generally quicker. Will report back when I get more of a go with it