PistonHeads.com Forum

Most Beautiful Car Interiors

Most Beautiful Car Interiors

Author
Discussion

Airbag

3,466 posts

112 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
kieranbennett said:
Los Angeles said:
Airbag said:
kieranbennett said:
Always liked the Morgan interior as a bit of a modern classic:
I love the design, but the airbag wheel, modern shift level and radio spoil it for me.
I absolutely agree. Morgan was caught between up-dating an icon and having to install contemporary elements to meet modern safety standards. Dealers won't remove the steering wheel but aftermarket boys will replace it with something more in character. Then again, the exterior of the car is not a fully successful reinterpretation of a classic Morgan. It's a bit of a curate's egg.


Edited by Los Angeles on Monday 2nd February 07:10
Completely agree about the wheel and stereo, I couldn't find a picture with a decent replacement. I saw a Aero 8 at the Prescot hill climb with a wheel trimmed in the same (or very similar) leather to the interior with the central spokes machined in the same pattern as the dash
Wibble.

Pics?

Coco H

4,237 posts

153 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
[quote=mister.t]

S1 E-Type - Just looks fantastic


Urgghh - no patina.

Where are the ones with good patina?

eowen

15,962 posts

181 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
hornetrider said:
Design classic!

...ruined with aftermarket tat.



Ravell

1,181 posts

128 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
I cant believe the number of BMW interiors posted! I'm a huge fan of BMW's myself and their interiors are deffinitly functional and usualy well designed and can look quite nice, but they just aren't drop dead gorgeous.

IMO the Tuscan deserves a mention for beauty.


kazino21

1,498 posts

134 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
BMW interior beautiful??? I think they are boring as hell, alpina do spruce them up nicely spruce htem up a bit though


However I think that doesn't have a patch on some of the other cars in this thread.

I do however love the facel vega interiors, beautiful


Advertisement

caboosemoose

38,117 posts

145 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Ravell said:
IMO the Tuscan deserves a mention for beauty.
Very striking design as are the Cerberas posted. But boy are they let down by the cheap looking leather and carpets and details like the nasty looking gaitors around the gearstick. But it wouldn't take all that much to make them truly stunning

Fittster

17,162 posts

129 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
kieranbennett said:
Always liked the Morgan interior as a bit of a modern classic

The radio doesn't fit in wheel and the dials could be improved.

caboosemoose

38,117 posts

145 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Los Angeles said:
That particular Z8 is destroyed by the clash of hot red with cool black, and the imbalance of volume to proportion, spattered with alloy bits and the usual appurtenances of a car's interior.
I thnk you'll find what really destroys that interior is what appears to be a control stick for a frigging slushbox. What is Alpina's problem?

Edited by caboosemoose on Monday 2nd February 16:57

tigerkoi

1,904 posts

114 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
caboosemoose said:
RicksAlfas said:
IMHO there shouldn't be any mainstream German interiors in this thread. No matter how well screwed together people think they are, they have never been beautiful!!
Sadly, you are mistaken.When it comes to elegant, understated design, you cannot beat a Merc W124. Far superior to some of the amateurish old British tat or overstyled Italian chintz posted in this thread. This is pukka industrial design:



For sure this is good industrial, elegant design, but in no way shape or form would I consider it beautiful. Yes, it's well designed. Yes, it's functional. Yes, it's many things, but you start thinking it's more beautiful that the Zonda interior, or an old school Bentley........no dice.

W124 interior = Emma Crosby
Bentley Conti T interior = Elizabeth Hurley (fox when younger)
Zonda F interior = Elisabetta Canalis

W124 owner talking, with exactly the same interior......

bosscerbera

8,185 posts

159 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all


Six Litre Diablo, possibly the nicest ever Lamborghini interior.

caboosemoose

38,117 posts

145 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
tigerkoi said:
((stuff, which made sense))
I take your points. But personally, I find the likes of the Pagani ludicrously over the top, there's no beauty there except the sheer quality of the thing, which is rather wonderful.

Personally, I think there is a sort of beauty to something like the W124's interior. It's about balance and proportions - a little along the lines of classical architecture.

Bentley interiors are either naff (VW era Bentleys) or charming but too messy and amateurish to be really beautiful. I guess I'm talking about Bentleys from the early 80s onwards here, I'm not familiar with the interiors of "propa" Bentleys from before the Rolls tie up.

Obviously, this is all highly subjective. One thing I won't budge on, however, is that the W124's interior spanks anything Merc does these days or has done since the early 90s.

Edited by caboosemoose on Monday 2nd February 17:05

900T-R

19,974 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Thing is, that W124 interior pictured is highly untypical - most were black on black with no wood to be seen, and some black/white block pattern cloth on the seats - or if a taxi, MB-Tex of course. wink

D14 AYS

3,694 posts

126 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Ravell said:
I cant believe the number of BMW interiors posted! I'm a huge fan of BMW's myself and their interiors are deffinitly functional and usualy well designed and can look quite nice, but they just aren't drop dead gorgeous.

IMO the Tuscan deserves a mention for beauty.

I concur yes

Gooner

243 posts

163 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Yes, but don't forget that Tuscan's worn carpets, aftermarket gaiter, general shabbiness etc. like all TVRs.






Oh, its immaculate. The picture must have been retouched.

tigerkoi

1,904 posts

114 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
caboosemoose said:
tigerkoi said:
((stuff, which made sense))
I take your points. But personally, I find the likes of the Pagani ludicrously over the top, there's no beauty there except the sheer quality of the thing, which is rather wonderful.

Personally, I think there is a sort of beauty to something like the W124's interior. It's about balance and proportions - a little along the lines of classical architecture.

Bentley interiors are either naff (VW era Bentleys) or charming but too messy and amateurish to be really beautiful. I guess I'm talking about Bentleys from the early 80s onwards here, I'm not familiar with the interiors of "propa" Bentleys from before the Rolls tie up.

Obviously, this is all highly subjective. One thing I won't budge on, however, is that the W124's interior spanks anything Merc does these days or has done since the early 90s.

Edited by caboosemoose on Monday 2nd February 17:05
I fully agree with you. I only picked up my W124 as it had that very look - Like 900R says, most were black/black - so I do really appreciate it.

I also agree that there is a functional 'elegance' to that model, inside and out that M-B haven't managed to get near for nigh on two decades.

Either way we like the cars! hehe

I must say though that I get a sneaky pleasure from sitting in a current Conti GT. [sneaks away]

A couple of my nominations:


I like the M6 interior, as A) I'm biased, and B) there's a real design theme that flows through the cabin. All you see from behind the wheel are wide swooping arches. But very subjective as caboosemoose says......


612 Scaglietti. For me, my favourite part is the sound the flappy paddles make when you flick them with your finger.


Weismann GT anyone?

G'kar

3,728 posts

102 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all

Agoogy

7,274 posts

164 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Don't approve of the gearstick or steering wheel (why do they get forgotten so easily -that TVR Tuscan interior is awesome..oh lets just slap an an off the shelf Momo in there... good as it is..nono )

Anyway:

Strawman

6,462 posts

123 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Agoogy said:
Anyway:
pic of renault interior
Why is the main instrument display out of line-of-sight for the driver silly

Agoogy

7,274 posts

164 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Strawman said:
Agoogy said:
Anyway:
pic of renault interior
Why is the main instrument display out of line-of-sight for the driver silly
As I understand it, it has been proved that actually the line of sight is actually much closer to centre than you think - hence Citroen, Mini, Renault, BMW and others leaning more and more to central displays...

Ravell

1,181 posts

128 months

Monday 2nd February 2009
quotequote all
Agoogy said:
Don't approve of the gearstick or steering wheel (why do they get forgotten so easily -that TVR Tuscan interior is awesome..oh lets just slap an an off the shelf Momo in there... good as it is..nono )
I don't know, the steering wheel IMO is just right and complements the dash, any more would make it cluttered, any less would take away from it. Sure it would be nice if it was bespoke rather than off the shelf, but it doesn't really bother me.