RE: Pure Driving Experiences: Crickhowell

RE: Pure Driving Experiences: Crickhowell

Wednesday 3rd July 2013

Pure Driving Experiences: Crickhowell

The second of Dunlop Tyres' sponsored videos takes in a very familiar stretch of Welsh tarmac




Dunlop Tyres is keen to promote the idea of what it calls Pure Driving Experiences and has sent Steve Sutcliffe to the roadtesters' playground that is the B4560 out of Llangynidr and towards Crickhowell in South Wales. Now, Steve's giving away some trade secrets here because if it all looks rather familiar that's because it's starred as the backdrop upon which many a black line has been painted by the tyres of some press car or other in the hands of an eager young hack.

Harris lives not far away and you'll probably recognise it from some of his videos, 'that' hairpin a rite of passage for any aspiring roadtester. But it's more than one corner and the undulating, open and beautifully well-sighted road has all the ingredients needed to shake down both car and driver.

Over to Steve to tell us more.

Watch the video here.

Β 


Previous videos:
Dunlop Pure Driving Experiences: Hardknott Pass

Β 

Β 

Author
Discussion

framerateuk

Original Poster:

2,546 posts

139 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
I wish people would stop telling the world about my Sunday driving route smile

matt1269

595 posts

129 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
framerateuk said:
I wish people would stop telling the world about my Sunday driving route smile
Agreed! Wish it was slightly smoother and wider though.

S. Gonzales Esq.

2,475 posts

167 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
It's often a bit wetter than that when I'm there, with lots of sheep lurking at the sides of the road. Well worth a trip though.




Carnnoisseur

531 posts

109 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Wow, I really need to get out of London more....

ewenm

28,506 posts

200 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Just watch out for the sheep (and the occasional police car)!

suffolk009

4,085 posts

120 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Is Pistonheads contractually obliged to present these adverts as editorial content?

animalkit

43 posts

117 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
The only way this could have been more cringey is if he said. Some car, some road, some tyre.

CraigD82

4 posts

84 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Nicely shot vid, which I watched with the sound off (at work)...probably helped damp down the cringe factor referred to above...

Nice looking car, great road and stunning scenery and weather.

Made me want to just go for a drive!

frankthesurf

16 posts

145 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Oops, crossing the solid white line, on a public video OH DEAR!

Ti22

290 posts

128 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Noooo.. don't tell people about our lovely roads!

soad

30,602 posts

131 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Some of the world's most stunning scenery - dramatic mountains, scenic coastline, lakes and rivers.
Simply perfect for a road trip. driving

KrissJ

202 posts

138 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Well, that video is infinitely better than the first one. For a start, the car matches the road.

The only problem for me now is that I was all set to get a 2006 Mini Works GP, but after watching this I'm wondering whether I should try a Megane 250 instead? confused

hornetrider

63,161 posts

160 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
framerateuk said:
I wish people would stop telling the world about my Sunday driving route smile
This!

IAJO

230 posts

113 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
who photoshopped the rain out of that picture? Good job!

Erwin1978

97 posts

101 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Crap, the secret is out. Well, if you tend to stay over do so at the Bear in Crickhowell. Magically place and the Missus will love it.

Penneth

121 posts

136 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
KrissJ said:
Well, that video is infinitely better than the first one. For a start, the car matches the road.

The only problem for me now is that I was all set to get a 2006 Mini Works GP, but after watching this I'm wondering whether I should try a Megane 250 instead? confused
A complete no brainer in my eyes. Heck, I'd even say a Clio 200 over the Mini is a no brainer!

Get yourself in a Megane 250 Cup, or a Megane 250 with the cup chassis and you'll probably wonder why you ever considered the Mini smile

MulsanneKinky

268 posts

95 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
Penneth said:
KrissJ said:
Well, that video is infinitely better than the first one. For a start, the car matches the road.

The only problem for me now is that I was all set to get a 2006 Mini Works GP, but after watching this I'm wondering whether I should try a Megane 250 instead? confused
A complete no brainer in my eyes. Heck, I'd even say a Clio 200 over the Mini is a no brainer!

Get yourself in a Megane 250 Cup, or a Megane 250 with the cup chassis and you'll probably wonder why you ever considered the Mini smile
This. No contest.

LukeyLikey

855 posts

102 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
On my map the B4560 out of Llangynidr doesn't head towards Crickhowell - is that a mistake?

framerateuk

Original Poster:

2,546 posts

139 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
LukeyLikey said:
On my map the B4560 out of Llangynidr doesn't head towards Crickhowell - is that a mistake?
In reality, it goes from Llangynidr towards the A465.

mmm-five

7,749 posts

239 months

Wednesday 3rd July 2013
quotequote all
That used to be my daily drive route (in an e34 M5) for about a year when I worked in Ebbw Vale and stayed in a B&B in Brecon.

The A470 was usually the slightly faster & more fuel economic route, but I only tended to use that when it was lashing down or foggy.