PistonHeads.com Forum

What's orange, very rare and might be seen v soon?

What's orange, very rare and might be seen v soon?

Author
Discussion

dod

739 posts

182 months

Friday 6th August 2004
quotequote all
Prime_Al, DoctorD,
Has it also been delayed, or have you managed to sneak one out the door?

chughesrwc2003

27 posts

161 months

Sunday 15th August 2004
quotequote all
Whats happened to production of the typhon now? Is it being reviewed or delayed until further notice? Hope its not too long if it has, you can always ask them to throw in a spare set of tyres if it has.

whitey

2,499 posts

206 months

Thursday 2nd September 2004
quotequote all
dod said:
Prime_Al, DoctorD,
Has it also been delayed, or have you managed to sneak one out the door?


Please tell me you have got it already or it is "anyday now".........any comments to make with regard to Mr Smolenskis input?

cheers
Whitey

donatien

1,113 posts

180 months

Wednesday 3rd November 2004
quotequote all
I've just spotted an Orange Typhon round the corner from me. Spoke to the guy (he works at the factory lucky git). I would have took a snap on the mobile but he was leaving as we chatted.

He said they haven't sold any yet (or perhaps he meant delivered as they must have taken deposits?), so I am assuming this is a pre-production test model. It had massive 5 spoke wheels and was in (lamborghini?) orange. Looked pretty complete to me.

Power is "somewhere near 600bhp". It is certainly a good looking car in the flesh, a bit smaller than I had imagined but well-balanced.

Sounds bl00dy good too.

Dave

dinkel

24,343 posts

180 months

Wednesday 3rd November 2004
quotequote all
donatien said:
Power is "somewhere near 600bhp".


Is that standard figures? What's in it . . .
Advertisement

donatien

1,113 posts

180 months

Wednesday 3rd November 2004
quotequote all
dinkel said:

donatien said:
Power is "somewhere near 600bhp".



Is that standard figures? What's in it . . .


It's the supercharged Speed 6, 4.2. I thought it was 550 and he said, no, much nearer 600. I don't know if that means customer cars will have 600 but he was confident they'd cleared 600+ on dynos with some engines in testing. That could of course mean stripped bare without ancillaries.

dinkel

24,343 posts

180 months

Thursday 4th November 2004
quotequote all
Stiggie do a lap in that one and bash the Enzo time . . .

Supersonic

1,163 posts

184 months

Thursday 4th November 2004
quotequote all
donatien said:
It's the supercharged Speed 6, 4.2. I thought it was 550 and he said, no, much nearer 600.


It's all gone a little quiet concerning the first customer car, any news Prime_Al or DoctorD?

DoctorD

Original Poster:

1,542 posts

178 months

Thursday 4th November 2004
quotequote all
Gagging order prevents us from saying anything, but there's no news to give really.

Supersonic

1,163 posts

184 months

Thursday 4th November 2004
quotequote all
Cheers, that was quick.

Must be v.frustrating waiting for the final delivery.

donatien

1,113 posts

180 months

Sunday 7th November 2004
quotequote all
Supersonic said:

donatien said:
It's the supercharged Speed 6, 4.2. I thought it was 550 and he said, no, much nearer 600.



It's all gone a little quiet concerning the first customer car, any news Prime_Al or DoctorD?


Interesting, where's that from? I would have expected a bit more torque but it probably falls in line with the delivery of other Speed 6's, i.e roughly 75% of peak bhp (measured lb/ft to bhp).

If the 4.2 is a bored out 4.0 I would have expected bigger torque? I would be concerned if they achieved the extra capacity by use of longer stroke. When I saw a 3.6 Speed 6 block 'on the trolley' there looked plenty of room to increase bore, as long as they also paid attention to the oil flows.

Maybe they've tuned the torque down and the power up?

dinkel

24,343 posts

180 months

Sunday 7th November 2004
quotequote all
donatien said:

. . . Maybe they've tuned the torque down and the power up?


Err, isn't that kind of related?

And what's that VW-logo doing in the graphic?

Supersonic

1,163 posts

184 months

Sunday 7th November 2004
quotequote all
donatien said:
Interesting, where's that from? I would have expected a bit more torque but it probably falls in line with the delivery of other Speed 6's, i.e roughly 75% of peak bhp (measured lb/ft to bhp).
It was taken from a recent EVO article (see link).

EVO article

donatien said:
If the 4.2 is a bored out 4.0 I would have expected bigger torque?
I think the Typhon uses a supercharged 4.0 litre Speed Six whereas the T440R uses the larger 4.2 litre version.

Re: Torque, to quote John Ravenscroft from another EVO article "It boosts across virtually the entire rev range too, in a linear fashion, producing 0.2bar pressure at 2000rpm and 1 bar at maximum revs. The effect this has on the power curve is like taking the top end of the curve and lifting it up. We didn't want a spike of torque low down, the straight-six already has enough for the rear tyres to cope with - so the Rotrax's linear boost delivery is ideal"

dinkel said:
And what's that VW-logo doing in the graphic?
Just a VW article on the next page.

EddyB

172 posts

161 months

Sunday 7th November 2004
quotequote all
I swear I heard about the de-restricted Typhon Engine producing 680bhp with the same boost, but then Wheeler and co. added a restrictor (hence about 580bhp) because it was "too much for the road". Can anyone confirm/deny this?

PinkPanther

1,010 posts

186 months

Monday 8th November 2004
quotequote all
EddyB said:
I swear I heard about the de-restricted Typhon Engine producing 680bhp with the same boost, but then Wheeler and co. added a restrictor (hence about 580bhp) because it was "too much for the road". Can anyone confirm/deny this?


Tis True...

www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=107&h=&t=101919

God, I'd wish they'd get a move on

PP

donatien

1,113 posts

180 months

Wednesday 17th November 2004
quotequote all
EddyB said:
I swear I heard about the de-restricted Typhon Engine producing 680bhp with the same boost, but then Wheeler and co. added a restrictor (hence about 580bhp) because it was "too much for the road". Can anyone confirm/deny this?


Yep, it is "rumoured" that they have some pre-production cars running on 650ish plus but they are "under test".

My various views on the Speed 6 are well documented here. I hope they get it right and I expect to see a complete product emerge. Nothing less will serve TVR; if they fail I will not be a returning customer.

Dave

Prime_Al

51 posts

167 months

Friday 3rd December 2004
quotequote all
DoctorD said:
Gagging order prevents us from saying anything, but there's no news to give really.


Interested in hearing from anyone up here still waiting for their Typhon with a deposit down - drop me an email please offline. Best regards to all ...

v8tvr

776 posts

175 months

Friday 3rd December 2004
quotequote all
Prime_Al said:

DoctorD said:
Gagging order prevents us from saying anything, but there's no news to give really.



Interested in hearing from anyone up here still waiting for their Typhon with a deposit down - drop me an email please offline. Best regards to all ...


Me

PinkPanther

1,010 posts

186 months

Saturday 4th December 2004
quotequote all
Prime_Al said:

Interested in hearing from anyone up here still waiting for their Typhon with a deposit down - drop me an email please offline. Best regards to all ...


YHM

Gazboy

51,805 posts

173 months

Friday 24th December 2004
quotequote all
DoctorD said:
Gagging order prevents us from saying anything, but there's no news to give really.


Seriously!!! I've just read both threads, and this just comes across as a complete piss-take! Hasn't the car been in the 'almost ready' stahe for about a year?
If you have a gagging contract, surely you also have a purchase contract stating that they will actually deliver the car within a specified time? How long have you been waiting since putting the deposit down? and is it refundable should you need/require it?